Chapter Twenty-Seven

Justin

Everything about this night was perfect in all candour.

Yes, the night may have done a one-hundred-and-eighty when it came to the Neanderthals that were the football jocks. That didn't deter me; I was adamant on a kiss by the end of the night and in that small alleyway, it seemed perfect because we were secluded from everyone else. It was our own bubble... our own world.

It was only four days until Christmas, but that didn't matter. I'd still get her something to compensate for all those times I've messed up. Then again, frankly, I was beginning to muse whether the kiss would make up for it. I was happy with how the kiss turned out because I knew she was utterly nervous, and yet she still made it flawless. The only lingering thoughts now were when I could kiss her again and how much and would it be passionate and slow or hungry and rapid?

But I had my own idea to do something for Juliet now. It wouldn't take a Neanderthal to acknowledge she was still obsessing over being labelled Coke Girl so I wanted to make her forget it. Perhaps then she'll comprehend her uniqueness and the fact that if something's special to you, you embrace it and not conceal it.

Lingering patiently by the double doors to the hall, students were ambling in throngs from the field back inside to be collected or driven home – or, more than likely go to a senior's house party and get so wasted, they'll upchuck on someone's extravagantly expensive sofa. That would be a horrendous sight. I was happy to go home with Jazmyn – even if it did mean spending the night there with Mom and Dawson.

Finally, Beth, Michelle, Ryan and Chaz were strolling up to us. Behind them, Jaz was with her own friends, throwing their heads back and laughing. As long as she was happy, I didn't mind.

"People are talking about you two," whispered Michelle to Juliet, leaning in in the hopes that I wouldn't eavesdrop. Mission failed, I mused.

"Why?" She emulated Michelle's terrible tone which can never be deemed a whisper or a murmur.

"Someone saw Justin kiss your cheek, lots saw you two holding hands and then someone else saw you two kissing in the alleyway – the news has spread!" Now she was getting excited. "What was it like – your first kiss?" Even Beth was stood adjacent to them.

Wishing that there wasn't a gaining proximity between Jaz and I, I wanted to hear more of their rumour and gossip.

Out of my peripheral vision and even in the darkness of the fallen night, Juliet's magenta-tarnished cheeks were as flamboyant as ever. "It was good." You could hear the smile in her voice and due to how shy she was, she wouldn't divulge more than that but nevertheless, it still sent a tremor though my stomach.

Jazmyn greeted us all and then in our ever-expanding group, we barged in inside, breaking up the sea of people that were flowing in the same course as everyone else. No one was combating against the current or even endeavouring to do so - a wise choice from everyone.

"Wait outside for me, I won't be long," I murmured to Jazmyn. I already acknowledged that that was a successful whisper with an undertone of something going to happen.

Bidding farewell to Ryan and Chaz, telling them I'd see them again soon hopefully for going to the gym in town (having discussed it only previously this morning), then Michelle and Beth who with a cheeky smirk nodded and also said goodbye to Juliet as well as, "Text us!" All five of them were lost in the current as I grasped Juliet's hand and steered her away from the current and to a stall over by the edge where only a teacher was occupying it without any costumers.

"Stand behind me and no peaking, alright?" I said, bending slightly so I reach her gaze – even if I was still a little taller.

Accompanied by a smile, she turned on her heels and faced the other way. Jubilantly, I turned back around and began surveying the gifts on this stall. Some were Christmas teddy bears that came in a diversity of sizes and outfits. Other gifts included cars and small sets of stationary. In the end, I settled on a Christmas bauble that was wrapped up in sheets of paper and then placed in a bag. I exchanged money for the bauble and turned around.