Chapter Twenty-Three

Justin

"So, you're getting closer with Coke Girl," Ryan articulated.

Once again for another lunch, we found ourselves wandering outside of school to the local McDonalds. Some other seniors were here, too but they scoffed down their food to leave extra early. It's a miracle they won't have indigestion from the rapidity of their consumption. Chaz sat next to Ryan whom were both parallel to me as they gobbled on their double cheese burgers and I ate my chicken nuggets. Admittedly, the woman behind the till was probably musing about exiling me for my food preference.

"We're friends and plus, we've been assigned to work together to do a mock for Music class," I replied, stuffing a whole chicken nugget into my mouth.

Chaz scoffed whilst simultaneously chomping on several fries he'd just chucked into his mouth. "You know," he said through a full mouth of crushed fries, "something is bound to happen between you."

"Nothing is going to happen between us because nothing will warrant it," I replied, waving my hand about as if to throw them off. It was also my indirect implication to get them to cease conversing about it, too but that didn't happen either.

"Nah, we know what you're like," continued Chaz, "and we know what happens. Just make sure you keep yourself guarded enough so you won't get hurt."

"And why do you think I'll get hurt?"

"Both people get hurt," interjected Ryan. "If you dated her and she dumped you, it would have to be for a legit reason which was hurting her and for her to dump you, it would hurt you, and vice versa."

"Philosophical," I mused aloud. "And fine then, I'll be guarded. But let's hurry up and get back to school."

Speaking of Juliet – or Coke Girl – I hadn't actually seen her around school as of yet today. It had been nearly a week since I'd voyaged through Stratford in search for her house to make it up to her and apologise profusely. From there, we studied more for Music class. Mrs Walker, however, had been absent for the preceding few lessons so the lessons plans had gone a bit awry.

Juliet hadn't even notified me of not coming in today. But we had Math class right after lunch so I thought perhaps she would be in. Unless I've just been exceptionally blind and oblivious today and haven't detected her presence anywhere because we hadn't had any lessons mutually today – but I would have seen her, I know I would have.

Ryan and Chaz sauntered past me as I lined up outside of Math class. Rachel and her band of followers trotted up to me, passing through the oncoming traffic that was deemed the students after a few moments. It was their fault for crossing in in the wrong direction to everyone else. Rachel stood directly in front of me.

"You've been spending a lot of time with Coke Girl," she declared.

"Her name is Juliet," I replied impassively, keeping my emotions contained and concealed. "But yes, I have been spending a lot of time with Juliet. She's my friend. I don't believe there's any law to spending time with friends and having to work on a mock together, is there?"

Fleetingly taken aback, Rachel stammered on her words, "N-No, not at all. But I'm a friend so why aren't you spending time with me?"

"Good comeback," muttered Trinity from behind her.

"Yeah," another concurred.

It was all I could do to refrain from rolling my eyes because of the moronic behaviour I was witnessing right in front of me. "Because I don't see you as a friend, Rachel. I actually like spending time with Juliet and on the contrary, I'd abhor spending time with you."