Chapter Thirty-Eight

Juliet

The news had gone viral by the next day of Justin and mine's relationship status.

At least, that's the thought that occurred to me by the quizzical stares and indiscreet mutterings whenever we strolled past, hand in hand or with Justin's arm around me. Turns out I was wrong.

"Why are they whispering?" I asked, fiddling with the end of my knitted jumper sleeve.

Today it wasn't so cold despite the January chill, but it was just warm enough for jumper and a few layers beneath that. The weather didn't warrant a coat today on account for the sun being out but just disguised by the light layering of the cotton candy clouds. The rays were penetrating the soft folds if the clouds and slowly burning down on us. The January chill cooled down the sun's rays, however.

"Probably about us dating now that we've given a day to show our relationship off," Justin replied nonchalantly.

"Oh," I said.

There was something in his casual tone of voice with his justification that made me speculate other possibilities. Even when his friends walked past us and no one made a sound, just glowered at one another, it piqued my curiosity and sparked the swirling thoughts in my mind, some counteracting the others.

It was in Justin's nature to act like nothing had happened to him and to put on a valiant face and carry on all his bravado to make sure others are content. Consequentially, it did result in some lies to make sure the other was happy, which negates the whole happiness part when the lies would unravel. And depending on the size of the lies, it could result in your crippling feelings of inadequacy – but that could be down to something if it was a betrayal like cheating.

So then the end of the day after form and walking home with Justin, the murmurs and the gawping finally got to me and I repeated the question to Justin. It was apparent that by now his earlier solution was not correct at all.

Justin sighed. "Fine, fine, you really want to know then?" he breathed.

"Yeah," I said, attempting to act adamant and instead failing due to the tremor in my stomach brought on by the apprehension of this topic.

It came to the junction where Justin had to turn off to his own home so we ceased strolling. He ran a hand through his fallen hair due to double P.E. today. Then he looked at me dead in the eyes and I knew he wasn't going to lie to me now.

"The reason everyone is whispering and staring is because..."

"Yes?"

He groaned lightly. "Because yesterday when I played basketball with the guys, it wasn't just the norm as I told you."

"What do you mean then?"

"What I mean is," he began, "they gave me a choice. An ultimatum, even, to pick between them and you and obviously-"

"You chose me," I finished off, dumb-struck. "Why did you choose me?"

"I can't just abandon you, Juliet, not with your... your..."

"You can say it: heart condition."

"Not with your heart condition. I don't want you to remember me as the guy who picked some Neanderthals over you – and nor do I want that impression left with your dad, either. Plus, I would never have forgiven myself. I know what I've chosen is the right answer."

"You shouldn't have picked me, Justin," I replied. "They're your friends. I don't ever want to make you choose."

"They're jerks," he scoffed. "They're not my real friends if they made me choose between you and them. There should never have been a choice in the first place if they were my friends."