Chapter Forty-Two

Justin

I stared down at Juliet's list on my desk in front of me.

I crossed a peculiarly straight line throughout number four which was the hot air balloon. All in all, that had been a complete success.

1) Meet Justin's parents (perhaps not his dad if he's not around)
2) Pass my exams
3) Go skinny dipping with Justin
4) Go in a hot air balloon
5) Make Dad happy
6) Make a difference at school rather than being known for my surname
7) Make this relationship with Justin worth it
8) Stay with Justin for the night
9) Lose my virginity
10) Get Justin to make it up to his friends

I had a few more minutes before I'd have to dash off to school with Jazmyn – who was currently occupying the bathroom making small amendments to her hair and has been for the preceding ten minutes. This gave me nearly ten minutes to fall into a state of speculation and deciphering. And candidly, I hadn't gotten very far. It was still early this Monday morning – nearly the last week in January now – and I couldn't elaborate further on Jazmyn's conjectures from it.

"Justin, I'm ready!" she yelled. Surprisingly, she was still in the bathroom.

"Then get out of the bathroom, Jaz."

Aware of the fact that Mom could just stroll on into my room whenever she pleases because dejectedly, she owns this Goddamn dump, I stuffed the list into a hidden pocket in my bag and slung it over my shoulder. Jazmyn marched out of the bathroom, a book in her hands and her backpack already smacking against her back with every enhanced step. That was until we were walking down the steps to the first floor.

And much to the contradictory of Jazmyn's character, frequently I found her retrieving her phone out of her pocket in between reading pages on the way to school. Curiosity piqued, I queried her oddity that was her behaviour this morning.

After stuffing her phone back into her pocket, she was smiling minutely as she murmured, "I have a date tonight."

"On a Monday night?" I blurted out hastily before I could stop myself. The protectiveness was rising slowly.

"It's only to the cinema," she protested, "but it's still a date."

"What's he like then?" I asked, stepping closer to Jazmyn and wrapping my arm around her shoulder. "He better be good enough for my little sister."

Jazmyn giggled slightly. "He's sweet and kind... he makes me laugh. He's in my English class. He's really clever."

"You've neglected to tell me the name," I prompted.

"Ethan Hiram," she mumbled feebly.

"Well," I said, squeezing her shoulder to me, "the name doesn't ring any sort of bells so you better just hope he's good enough for you, alright? And if he hurts you, you let me know, alright?"

She nodded.

Disjoining from Jazmyn, by the time I got to school, Juliet was sat on the bench by the building with Beth who always seemed to be munching on a bacon bap and presumably some caffeinated drink from Starbucks. Both smiled when they saw Jazmyn and I approaching, but Juliet got up from the bench to hug me. She made small talk with Jazmyn, too.

"Hey, Beth," I said, resting my chin on Juliet's head.

Accompanied by bread crumbs on her lips, she nodded and held a hand to her mouth saying, "Hey, Justin."

I presume she still had food in her mouth so I didn't press the conversation further except with, "Where's Michelle?"

"She's got the dentist this morning so she's not in until lunch."