Chapter Fifty-Seven

Juliet

After ploughing on through my ever-growing stack of teenage romance books, perceiving the sound of the beeping, it was automatically registered in my mind that I was in the hospital.

Having been a little out of it back in school, I was surprised at how not disorientated I was now. Opening my eyes, the doctor turned to me mechanically and just as I was about to sit up properly, he gently pushed my shoulder back down.

"Please don't just sit up yet," he advised. "You might feel fine now but I don't want you to take a turn again."

The doctor, I noticed, had light stubble flecking his chin and cheeks. His eyes were an unusual shade of light brown, almost like peanut butter. He wore a wedding ring on his ring finger. He even held a little clipboard in front of his stethoscope suspended around his neck.

"I would just like to ask you a few questions," he began, "is that okay? Do you need some water before we begin?"

Because he had asked the question, it was only now when I distinguished the dry, scratchy feeling in my throat. I nodded and he walked out. Justin, myself, Michelle, Beth and my dad were the only ones left in the room. My dad was sat on the arm chair next to me. Justin was sitting on the edge of the bed on his side, and Michelle and Beth on the other. I kept my legs more to Justin's side to give them more room.

"How are you feeling, sport?" Dad questioned softly, reaching his hand out to clasp mine.

"Just thirsty," I said.

In the absence of the doctor, whose name I had not learnt, my opportunity was evident to lean back up so I did it. I felt abruptly lightheaded so I leaned back and hit the bed right behind me. Sighing softly, I looked up again just in time to see the doctor walk in with a plastic cup of water.

"I take it you just sat up," he said, somewhat amused. "I hope you're put off from that idea now."

"Sorry," I replied gently.

The doctor, accompanied by a smile on his face, handed me the cup of water and I chugged my first mouthful down. It felt so refreshing as it coursed through the beginning parts of my digestive system. The doctor stood at the foot of my bed and smiled down at me, waiting for me.

"You can start with the questions," I declared, holding my cup against my thigh.

The doctor smiled. "Thank you. I'm Doctor Klein and I will be treating you."

"Treating?"

Doctor Klein chuckled softly. "When I say treating, I mean caring."

I nodded.

"So, as we've established, I'm Doctor Klein, and I'm going to be your doctor. First off, how did you feel this morning?"

"Cold," I answered rapidly. "I felt cold so I put more layers on. But then at lunch I got really hot but I was still shivering."

"Anything else?"

"I felt dizzy, too. And when I tried to stand up, my knees just gave way."

Doctor Klein processed my words and examined his clipboard which he was still clutching. A moment later, he began publicising his verdict, "You said you were really dizzy, so I just think it was your body trying to retain the heat which you were losing because you were growing colder, but the heat radiated off you and was trapped in your clothing. I just think it was your body trying to combat the heat loss. Your knees giving way could be due to being so dizzy and lightheaded, perhaps?" he suggested.

I nodded. "Yeah, I felt lightheaded, too. I didn't really know what was happening at the time. I could just see people surrounding me."

Almost instantly, Michelle, Beth and Justin all turned a light shade of pink because they were whom I was referring to. Even so, Dad still had his concerned expression plastered on his face, and Doctor Klein seemed to be smiling to show his reassurance.