Chapter Forty-Five

Justin

Over the week, Mom had managed to somewhat contain her foul moods.

She'd been turning up for work on time and she was getting paid soon, too. Her occupation was working in one of the shops in town. I hadn't quite been listening to her ramblings when she announced it at dinner in the day when I'd asked if Juliet could come over the next week. Jazmyn seemed rapt by Mom's digressions.

Mom had told me that Juliet could come straight after school and spend some time doing some homework in my room. She then told Jazmyn that she'd have to flee my room for when Juliet would visit, but Jazmyn gave her word that she'd leave us in peace.

She did, however, give me one piece of advice when Mom left to cook dinner that evening. She said, "You better not do more of that bucket list with me in the next room and Mom only a few rooms down."

I rolled my eyes but said back to her, "We won't."

Juliet was coming round on Wednesday after school. Her dad was a tad bit sceptical of the whole scenario, but after assuring him that if anything went wrong with Juliet I'd call him straight away or if my mom was to have an abrupt, turn, I'd walk her home. Her dad already acknowledged the drunken side of my mom and her abysmal motherhood skills, but he concurred and enabled Juliet to go.

"Nervous?" I asked, using my hand that was balanced gently on her shoulder to tuck her hair behind her ear.

Her automated response was to pull the hair back from her ear and cover it before saying, "A little. Have you told her about my heart?"

Guilty, I relinquished. "Yeah, I did. I hope you don't mind."

She shook her head. "I don't mind. She's bound to find out sometime. I just hope tonight goes well and she likes me."

"She'll definitely like you," I adamantly protested.

There was not one thing I would genetically amend with Juliet – except, perhaps, the heart condition. But then would she accept herself without the heart condition? Would she know what to do with herself? It seemed preposterous to think of her devoid of the heart condition now, but I had thought of her like that for so long before her declaration.

By the time we did get home, Jazmyn was the first through the door. Mom was busying herself in the kitchen with laying the table. Considering dinner won't be for over an hour yet, I was astonished to see her preparing early. Nonetheless, Juliet didn't need to be aware of the norm for our family so I lead her into the kitchen without any leakages of my shock.

"Mom, this is Juliet," I announced, stepping to the side.

At the same time, Juliet stepped out from behind me and stepped forward. Both of them smiled at one another. Then Juliet said, "It's good to meet you, Pattie."

"Likewise," replied Mom. "I'm happy you're staying for dinner so I can get to know you more. Would you like a drink or a snack now?"

"Can I have a glass of water, please?"

Mom looked at me and smiled. "Certainly."

Indicating for myself to slave away at Juliet's hand and foot, I got her a glass of water and handed it to her. All the while, Mom was asking Juliet what other lessons she did at school and asked how they were going. She didn't bring up the topic of Juliet's heart so for that, I was appreciative. Then we were left to go to my room for whatever. Although, Mom phrased it as, "You can go to your room now and do homework until dinner's ready."

When we got in the comfort of my room with the door closed, Juliet sat on the edge of my bed and said, "Your mom seems nice."

"It's like she's changed," I replied. "So, do you actually want to do homework or would you like to watch a film on my laptop?"