Chapter Thirty-Four

Juliet

When I got back home, I was sobbing.

The door slammed shut behind me. Dad didn't have time to make it out of the study to console me because I was already racing upstairs to my room. I slammed that door shut too and collapsed on the bed. My heart was racing, my hands were clammy, and my cheeks were tarnished with tears. My breathing pattern and pulse was anything but regulated.

It wasn't long until Dad ambled coyly into my room. He glimpsed through, peering his head in and then opened the door fully. He perched on the edge of my bed and placed his hand on my jerking shoulders – which was accountable for the hysteria which was sobbing.

"I take it you told him," prompted Dad.

"Yeah," I sobbed, "and I ran off. I couldn't face him any longer."

"I'm proud of you for telling him, sport, but running off was not the best idea. He's hurting as much as you are from the abruptness of the revelations. He just needs time to process it all, too."

"I ended everything between us, Dad."

Dad sighed. "Oh, Juliet, why on earth did you do that? He can help you through it, you know. He can care for you and he can watch over you in school. It's only going to get worse if you isolate him. I know you, and you'll end up doing the same with Michelle and Beth. You need all three of them. And you need me. You've got me, Michelle and Beth already. You did have Justin, but you just lost him. The doctors said you need as many people to support you as you can."

Silence was my reply.

Silence was my reply to a lot of things for the duration of the remainder of the Christmas break. I replied to Michelle and Beth when I notified them about informing Justin of my genetically inherited heart condition. They were both sympathetic and say he'd stand by me but then I told them that I walked off and ended everything. Both were indignant.

It was a spur of the moment decision – irrational. It felt like an impulse moment to do that to him. And now I'm ridden with guilt for having to harbour such a burden. Even if I were to reach out to him, he probably wouldn't take any notice of me and just reject any endeavours to make it up to him. I know I've messed up badly.

So that's why I was doing this: everything I had from him, I was packing into a box. That includes the books, notes, bauble and other little things. I didn't want to keep anything that reminded me of him because he wouldn't want me to. By now, I was ready for school when it would come to actually giving him everything back.

And right now, ambling into school, the box was held in my arms. Justin had text me consistently throughout the rest of the break but I ignored every single text. I read them, sure, but I didn't reply. He tried calling me several times too. He didn't give up. He was persistent and intent.

Beth was on the bench with her bacon sandwich and a complex Starbucks drink. I sat next to her and she stared at the box resting on my lap. She took a bite of her sandwich, swallowed it and then asked what the insides consisted of.

"It's full of everything that Justin has ever given me. I didn't need any reminders of it considering I messed up big time and he won't even want to speak to me now," I breathed.

"I'm sure he'd be willing to talk to you." She sipped on her steaming beverage but kept her eyes on me. "Michelle and I both think he's dying for you to talk back to him."

I scoffed. "He hates my guts, Beth."

"He's just reeling." Then a pause as she took a bite out of her bacon sandwich. Her eyes were drifting around the parking lot when they clasped on someone. Her eyes bulged and she smacked my arm lightly. "There he is! Call him and ask him over!"

I turned to where Beth was gazing out at. And there he was. Justin was strutting through the parking lot, keeping his eyes high and unfocused on anyone specific. His eyes weren't even drawn to us, despite knowing we sit here nearly every morning. Before he could make it into the school building, I decided to act on another impulse.

"Justin!" I called.

He walked past without any indication that he heard me. He entered the building, despite the proximity that was previously there. He must have heard me because when I turned back to Beth, she bowed her head shamefully.

"Yeah, he doesn't want to talk to me."

"His locker is by yours. All you have to do is follow him in and pretend you're going to your locker. Then you just need to speak to him, alright?"

"I'll see you later," I offered. "I'll do that."

Seizing the box in my arms, I jogged into the building. I didn't care about my skirt riding up at the back or the jagged edges of my Coke lid smacking against my chest. I wasn't wearing a knitted jumper, but I was wearing my leather jacket, despite it reminding me of the Christmas Fair which I actually spent the period with Justin. And we kissed. It was our first kiss. It was my first kiss.

My jog ceased and morphed into a walk once my breathing was becoming uneasy. My walk continued to my lockers where Justin mercifully still was. I stepped past him and leaned against the locker next to his. Discretion was required now so I inhaled quietly. Justin turned to me with an impassive look. He clenched his jaw.

"Justin, this box is for you."

He surveyed the box. "What's inside?"

"Everything you've given to me. I didn't think you'd want me to have any reminders of you. I've been horrible, I know. And I'm sorry."

Justin sighed and closed his locker softly. "Keep them, Juliet. I don't want you to forget about me. If you won't let yourself have me, you at least need the memory of me still with you to help."

"Justin, please, take the box."

"No."

"Justin ," I pleaded.

"No."

I sighed, my knees bending due to frustration. "Justin, just take the box. I don't want any of this. I told you what I thought of the condition. You don't need me burdening you like that. I'm doing it for both of us. Just take it, Justin."

Regretfully, Justin took the box and opened his locker again. Wordlessly, he stuffed it in there and slammed the door shut, provoking me to wince. My eyes closed involuntarily and opened again. He was staring down at me hard. It was almost like he was glowering at me.

"So you're erasing me from your life. Are you happy now, Juliet? Satisfied with what you're doing?" he snapped before marching off down the corridor to his form room. He left me standing there like an idiot.

No, Justin. I'm not happy. You made me happy, and now I've lost you.

------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

When will they get back on better terms with one another? :(((((((( Stay tuned to find out! :)))))

Do you think Justin was right to act out like that?????

Thank you :) x