Chapter Twenty-Two

Juliet

Despite my endeavours to convince my dad, Michelle and Beth that this wasn't a date and instead, a study congregation, they failed.

However, Dad was more subtle with choosing his words as he didn't quite express "So it's a date?" like Michelle and Beth did. Or perhaps, they exclaimed it rather than deeming it "expressed" and putting it mildly. I'm pretty sure they brought a whole new classification to the meaning of "date".

But I did make somewhat of an effort, too. I let my hair be wavy and full of life rather than straightening it so it was pin straight. And for once, unpredictably, I caught Justin off guard because I didn't dress in a characteristic knitted jumper. It felt strange to confess, but a part of me desired for Justin to see what I was like behind the illusion of my knitted jumper. Even so, the Coke lid was still around my neck, even if it was tucked in the top and concealed beneath the cotton fabric.

Needlessly, there was one thing I had overlooked with the whole ordeal and arrangement. Admittedly, I hadn't actually thought of what I would have to do if Justin didn't even present himself. Dad dropped me off outside of the library at about five to. He wanted to make sure I was early but also to see if he could get a glimpse of Justin.

"A gentleman would have to be early so the lady wouldn't be waiting for him," Dad explained. "It wouldn't be very chivalrous." But he wasn't too annoyed that Justin wasn't here early.

"He might not even be expecting me early," I replied.

Dad shrugged nonetheless. "Have fun, sport. Although, I don't know how much fun you can have when it's studying... and then getting lunch."

Sure enough, with crimson cheeks, I nodded and Dad leaned over to kiss my forehead. I got out of the car, making sure I had everything in the pockets of my jacket and jeans before loitering aimlessly outside of the library building. I received many stares from innocent bystanders, evidently wondering what on earth I was doing. A woman even sauntered up to me and queried whether I was alright or needed a lift.

"No, I'm fine, thank you," I mumbled sheepishly.

The woman, cocking her head from side to side, nodded nonchalantly before strutting off down the sidewalk. To me, it felt like she didn't seem particularly herself. But it wasn't like she was swaying along the sidewalk and struggling to stay upright and necessitating assistance in walking. Perhaps she was just giddy?

I waited for at least twenty minutes before finally concluding that Justin wasn't coming and instead, he'd stood me up. Thoughts were swirling around in my mind that this was all just a comical gag he was playing with his friends and they were all in on this, too. Because you know, who would want to befriend such an oddball like myself? The girl with the Coke lid and knitted jumpers?

The things people say in the corridors when I amble past them stay in my mind. I don't forget them, and nor can I block them out. They stay with me like a constant reminder of a life I've chose for myself because that's who I am. The thoughts are like scars: They leave the imprint and then they remain, even if we sometimes forget about them; they always come back to us like when we remember a scar is visible and see it on our own body.

As soon as twenty passed came around, I began to make my way back home. With my head bowed, I stopped anyway from witnessing my magenta-tainted cheeks. Again, I had more endeavours to maintain my emotions and keep them in check. On the way home, I received a text from Justin , too. He wanted to meet me at home but I denied by the request, telling him he should just go home.

Dad greeted me as soon as I walked in, startled by my presence in the house. His eyes were wide with fear as he stumbled out of the study as I took my shoes off. His chest deflated at the sight of me. "God, sport. You almost sent me into cardiac arrest," he wheezed, holding his hand to his chest. "What are you doing home so early?"