Love Heals - Eren x Reader

Decided to try out a song fic! The song is Love Heals from Rent, in case you want to listen to it. I did, however, cut the song short since it is kind of long. I skipped ahead a few verses and started about the third verse.

Also - trigger warning for suicidal thoughts and attempts. If this in any way triggers you, DO NOT READ THIS ONE SHOT. 

~

There are those who shield their hearts

He couldn't take it anymore. All of the pressure to be humanity's last hope, to save the world; it was too much, too overwhelming. All he ever did was disappoint people. He was a disappointment to himself.

Those who quit before they start, who frozen up the part of them that feels.

Eren didn't think about much as he ran through the forest with tears pouring from his eyes. He didn't think about how much people needed him, because it didn't matter. They would end up disappointed or dead like every other time.

In the dark they've lost their sight, like a ship without a star in the night.

He sat there on the edge of the cliff he had found a few weeks ago, his hands covering his mouth as those sobbing noises started to come out. Despite the fact that no one was around, he was embarrassed. Not that it would matter to him in a few minutes.

"Hey."

But hold on tight.

Eren jumped at the sudden voice, his head swiveling around as a girl approached. Her hands were stretched out cautiously, her eyes studying him gently as she slowly stepped closer. He narrowed his eyes at the newcomer.

"Go away," he spat. "You can't stop me from doing it, so just leave."

The girl smiled gently, a warm, kind smile that took Eren by surprise. He hadn't seen a smile like that directed to him since before his mom died - at least, he never saw a genuine one. This one, however, was.

"I'm not here to stop you. I just want to talk to you," she replied, slowly sitting down next to him on the edge and folding her hands in her lap.

Love heals, when you feel like you can't go on. Love heals, hold onto love, it'll keep you strong.

"I'm (F/N). You're Eren, right?"

Love heals, when you feel like you can't go on. Love heals, hold onto love and it'll bring you home.

He was confused as to why she was being so polite to him, but he nodded slowly, his hand dropping from his mouth. He sniffed as she watched him.

Love heals when pain's too much to bear.

"You know, I haven't met you before, I've only heard things about you, and I must say that I'm quite proud of what you've accomplished," she told him, her smile never slipping from her face.

Eren frowned as his tears fell even stronger now and he turned his attention to his lap. What good has he accomplished? He's the reason for so many deaths - his mother, Petra, Auruo, Eld, Gunther, so many more of the Survey Corps... all to protect him. He nearly killed Mikasa when he tried plugging up the wall, for crying out loud!

When you reach out your hand, and only the wind is there.

"I know in your mind it seems as though you haven't done anything good, but I want you to know that you've helped us out a lot. You've saved more lives than we've lost, Eren."