Pinky Promise - Child!Marco x Child!Reader

"One day, I'm going to join the Military Police." 

You turned your head to look at your freckled best friend. "Why? Aren't you happy here?" 

Marco looked over at you with that radiant smile of his. "Of course I'm happy here, (F/N). I just think it would be cool to work for the king, you know? Gosh, it would be such an honor," he gushed, flopping down into the grass and smiling up at the blue sky.

"Well, I'll join the military too then," you replied, keeping your knees to your chest and your chin on top of them. 

"Huh? (F/N), you don't have to join just because I am," Marco frowned. He didn't want you to do something you didn't want to do. He wanted you to be happy, not following him around like a lost puppy.

You looked down at him and smiled gently. "No, I want to. Maybe not to join the Military Police, but just to do something."

"Please don't join the Survey Corps," he said quietly as he sat up. 

You shook your head vigorously. "No! Never. I don't have a death wish. Maybe I'll join the Garrison. That'd be pretty fun, right?"

"Like your dad was, huh?" 

"Yeah. Just like my dad." 

The two of you fell silent for a few moments, just enjoying the breeze and the smell of the flowers all around you. 

"It's starting to get late," Marco announced. He tilted his head back to look at the sun. "We should head back."

You looked up at the setting ball of fire as disappointment surged through you. You weren't ready to leave yet.

Marco must have seen this on your face, because he smiled and stood up before offering his hand to you. "Come on, we can come back tomorrow."

You sighed and took his hand, allowing him to pull you onto your feet. You patted the dirt off of your skirt before beginning to walk with him back towards the village. 

When you got to the edge of town and the two of you had to go your separate ways, you turned to Marco with your pinky stretched out. 

"Promise me we'll be best friends forever? That you won't ever leave me behind?" You said seriously. 

Marco, however, laughed and hooked his pinky on yours. 

"I pinky promise."

~~~

Oh man this is the shortest one I've ever typed. Don't worry though, there will be a part two! It may or may not be up shortly after this one.