The Point of No Return (Part 3) - Apocalypse!AU - Armin x Reader

"This is unbelievable!" Her voice was filled with venom and anger as she ran through the forest, Bertholdt only a few paces behind. "I told you not to shoot it, and yet you did it anyways."

He cringed at her words as guilt spread through him. "I'm so sorry... I-I panicked!"

The perimeter check was going fine like always. After their conversation, hardly any words were exchanged and the silence between them was a comfortable one.

As they had moved deeper into the woods, the more cautious and alert they felt, knowing that those parts of the forest were the most dangerous and they needed to be on full alert until they finished the check.

Everything was going well until they spotted a single stiff. They were both surprised to see it at first, for they usually travelled in a group and one was rarely seen by itself.

Naturally, they both reached for their guns, but when (F/N) realized that shooting him would not only be a waste of a bullet but also too loud, she ordered for it to simply be beheaded. Bertholdt agreed on this, and had volunteered to do so.

However, as he moved closer to the stiff, it turned on him and snarled, startling him and as an automatic response, he drew his gun and shot it, the bullet sticking itself right in the center of its forehead and killing it.

Of course, the shot echoed throughout the forest, and almost immediately they heard the sounds of snarls and more stiffs coming towards them.

That was when (F/N) yelled at Bertholdt before grabbing his wrist and taking off towards the cabin to get everyone out of there.

"You can't panic in situations like that, Bertholdt!" She shouted, weaving through the trees and hopping over fallen branches. She didn't know just how far back the stiffs were, but she knew they were there. She could sense their presence coming after them.

There was a break in the trees, revealing the cabin in middle with Connie on guard, who stood up upon their approached. 

"Hey what was that gunshot?" He called as they ran up the porch and into the house. He followed them in, watching as (F/N) threw the rug aside and jerked the hatch open. She wasted no time in grabbing the ladder and rushing down.

Connie frowned at Bertholdt when she started yelling at everyone to hurry up and grab as much as they could carry. 

"What's going on?" He asked.

Bertholdt looked down in shame. "I panicked and shot a stiff. It attracted a bunch more and we haven't got much time."

Connie's eyes bulged out of his head as he gaped at the taller male. "Holy shit, man!" He exclaimed, leaving no time for Bertholdt to respond as he practically threw himself into the basement.

As soon as he was alone, Bertholdt's guilt and shame shifted into something different; a look that would tell anybody if they saw that he knew exactly what he had been doing.

Downstairs, (F/N) was running around, barking out orders and throwing things around to help everyone pack as much as they could.

Armin's hands shook as he stuffed his clothes inside his backpack, blonde hair falling out of his ponytail as he tried to concentrate on keeping composed and calm.

A hand on his back made him jump and spin around with wide eyes, fear briefly taking over in an irrational thought that a stiff had suddenly appeared behind him.

(F/N)'s eyes softened when she realized just how much he was freaking out. Her hand reached out for her to weave her fingers with his and give a reassuring squeeze. It was enough to make Armin breathe out slowly and sort his mind out long enough to finish stuffing his backpack as much as he could and smile shakily at her.