Welcome to the Survey Corps - Jean x Reader

This was the last place he wanted to be. 

This isn't the life he ever wanted; no, all he ever wanted was a nice, peaceful life in the interior where he could relax and live the life he never got to live as a child. 

He wanted to pledge his loyalty and serve the king himself. He wanted to wear the green unicorn on his jacket, not the blue and white wings. 

All he wanted was safety and comfort. 

But he couldn't choose that. How could he? How could he have the nerve to even somewhat regret his decision to join the Survey Corps? This was where he was meant to be, no matter how much he disagreed with himself.

He owed it to Marco. He owed it to all of those lives lost in the Battle of Trost. He needed to prove that humanity did have a chance and he couldn't do that while pushing around civilians in the interior. 

It may not be what he wanted, but it was what was meant to be. 

And Jean Kirschtein wasn't going to regret it no matter how much he wanted to.

He released a quiet sigh as pulled the green cape tighter around his body. It was chilly out and he didn't enjoy the idea of getting sick with his first expedition a few days ahead.

"if you joined the Military Police you would be inside near a warm fire right now," his mind nagged as he entered the building.  He ignored his conscious and made his way towards the only place that was worthy of being called a 'lounge.'

It was nothing special; just a large room with a fire place, two old couches, a table with chairs, and a closet with blankets and cleaning supplies. 

Jean stopped by his room first, discarding both his cape and uniform jacket before continuing down the hall towards the lounge. 

When he entered, the fireplace was lit and there were four people already sitting at the table playing a card game. Jean recognized Ymir, Connie, and Eren, but the fourth face was unfamiliar. It took him a moment to realize that fourth player wasn't a part of the 104th graduating class. 

She didn't look older though; her hair looked soft and was cut in a longer, shaggier pixie cut. The corners of her bright (E/C) eyes crinkled as she laughed and slapped a card down onto the table before throwing her tanned arms up victoriously. 

"Hey horse-face, care to be dealt in?" Eren called when he spotted him. Irritation pumped through Jean at the stupid nickname but nevertheless he nodded and sat down beside the unknown woman. 

"How did you escape Captain Levi?" Jean grumbled as cards were slid his way. He picked them up and examined them carefully. 

"Captain's been in a meeting all day with the Commander and other Captain's. Why do you think nobody has been cleaning?" Eren replied as he studied his own cards. 

The stranger next to Jean turned her head towards him and grinned. 

"Hi there! Sorry to not introduce myself sooner, but the name's (F/N)!" She greeted, her smile never faltering. 

Jean couldn't respond though; he was too hooked on what he didn't notice until she turned her head. It was a scar, cutting from the top of her eyebrow and going down in a line to the corner of her lips. It was healed of course, but Jean could almost feel the pain she must've felt when it was first inflicted upon her. 

If his staring bothered her, she didn't let it show. Instead, she gently poked his arm to draw his attention to what she was saying. 

"Uh, you okay there?" She asked, raising her eyebrows in slight concern at the lack of words from Jean.