Jam Session.

Chapter Thirteen

"What do you want, Harry?" I ask, starting to walk down the hall. His feet trail behind me, and I roll my eyes. I can't believe him right now. He goes a whole month of shutting me out and now wants to talk suddenly.

"Just to talk. Please." Harry grips my wrist, turning me to face him. His eyes look soft and hold a worried look.

"Fine, but I'm getting something to eat first." He nods and lets me go. I go downstairs to make myself a sandwich while Harry sits impatiently at the counter. What does he have to tell me so urgently that he can't stop bouncing his leg up and down?

"Who were you talking to?" Harry suddenly asks.

"Oh, I was on the phone with Zayn. The friend I was telling you about."

"Oh." He says and looks around the kitchen before saying. "You were on the phone pretty long what you two talk about." Was he out waiting the whole time? And what's with the sudden interest in my life?

"We just caught up a bit and then was planning what we should do when he comes to visit in a couple of days."

"He's coming to visit you?"

"Yeah. It might be the last time I see him. I don't know what's going to happen on any of these missions."

"Amira, you're not going to die," Harry dismisses.

"You don't know that. What if Maverick kills me before I kill him."

"That's not going to happen. I won't let that happen. You hear me." His sharp tone makes me clamp my mouth shut and nod.

Taking my sandwich upstairs to my room, I sit at my desk while harry sits on my bed. He shifts around a bit until he's comfortable. I eat my food while signaling Harry to speak.

"So, about that night. I don't want things to become awkward between us."

"Well then, maybe try not being a cold asshole for an entire month next time," I clip, furrowing my brows.

"I know, but I didn't know what to say to you. No one has seen me like that before, and damn sure no one but me slept in my bed before. It was all too much, y'know." He's had no one else sleeping in his bed before. Does he kick out every girl after sleeping with them? That's pretty messed up.

"Okay, I understand that, but I wasn't going to tell anyone, Harry. I know what I saw was personal. All I wanted to do was help."

"And I appreciate it." Harry looks to my bookshelf next to me while I finish my sandwich. Is that all he wanted to talk about?

"So, I talked to my friend about the studio. He gave me the key for today if you're free."

"Yeah, that be great, actually."

✵✵✵

The studio is cozier than I imagine, with a couch and a couple of seats behind the soundboard. I sit back on the sofa as Harry queues everything up. I'm surprised how well he knows all this audio engineering stuff. I know a little, but I never really had the chance to practice it. My music degree focused on performing and composition more. Once he's done, I go into the booth and touch the slick cymbals of the drum kit. It's a fiery orange kit and looks way more expensive than anything I've owned. I got the drum sticks that I brought from home. Sasha bought them for me when I first got into drumming. They're a little beaten up, but I find them to be my good luck charm. It's also a reminder of what I'm fighting for, my sister always believed in me, and I never got the chance to thank her for that.

Sasha, I will avenge you.

I sit on the stool while Harry picks up an electric guitar and turns to me. "What should we play?"