Run.

Prologue

Terror. Chaos. Death.

No one is safe. Few can survive if they're strong enough. Not just physically strong but willfully strong. The ones who never give up. The ones who fight until the end. Those are who will make it.

Boom!

A car burst into flames, the metal charring quickly. Citizens full the streets in panic, screaming on top of their lungs. The smell is of gasoline heavy in the air. Sirens blare as police cars drive to the root of the accident. Three children cry out for their mother, who is frantically looking for them in the crowd of frightened people.

Two girls hide in the closet as men with guns raid their house. The little one sobs, but her older sister covers her mouth, telling her to be quiet. They hear their parents arguing with the men, and the little girl peeks out of the crack of the closet. Two men with buzz cuts and a snake tattoo on their neck question them about stealing from Maverick.

"Oh no, we'd never steal from him. We're nothing but loyal," Mr. Davis speaks.

"We got evidence that states otherwise," his deep voice grumbles.

A gunshot goes off, along with a loud thump. Then another. She watches her mother and father fall to the floor with a bullet hole through both their heads. Blood pools out around them, soaking the white carpet. Her mother's eyes remain open, emotionless staring deep at the girl.

Tears rush down her eyes, and she holds her older sister, terrified of what's her fate. Mama and papa are dead.

The men take the bag of cash and drugs before leaving, not bothering to check if they're others. The police are close by, and they need to make a hasty escape. Once the men are gone, the older sister takes the little one's hands and crawls out of the closet. The smaller one trembles with fear while the other one remains calm. She knows she can't show any fear to her sister and has to stay strong for the both of them if they make it out alive.

"Amira, we have to run okay," the seventeen-year-old girl says, crouching down to the little girl.

"But mama and papa," she sobs, looking at her parents laying dead on the ground, their blood surrounding their corpses.

"If we stay here, they'll put us in foster care, and we could get separated. Now hold my hand and never let go, okay."

Amira nods, taking her sister's hand. They run out the back door with a bag their dad gave them. He knew they could die and wanted his girls to have enough money to run away and start a new life. He told his older daughter Sasha what to do if they were to die, and she knew this day would come suddenly. And yet, she was still not prepared for this. However, she can't take a moment to grieve her parents until they're both in the safe place her father told her to go to.

People trample each other, trying to escape the bullets and chaos the gangsters are causing. The police come firing back at the men, a few getting wounded in the process. Sasha starts running while holding Amira's hand tightly, and they take an abandoned car and drive away from the mayhem behind them. Amira softly weeps in the front seat as they travel north.

The Davis sisters have to say goodbye to the life they once knew and always have to look over their shoulders for the serpent who lurks in the shadows.

✵✵✵✵
Incase there's any confusion, Maverick is the Serpent, and sometimes they'll refer him and his gang to the Serpents. I will use both depending on the situation and moment.

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Ily❦