You Idiot

Miles

I stepped out of the court room, Phoenix's hand in mine. My heart pounding so loud almost anyone could hear it. As soon as we step out, everyone started to cheer, most likely for two reasons;
1. We won the case
2. I just proposed to Phoenix Wright, of all people, in front of thousands of witnesses.
Everyone outside cheered and congratulated us for both the case, and the proposal. The Shepard family thanked us profusely, especially Connor.
"I couldn't just let this kid get put into jail for a crime he didn't commit," I said.
"That could've heavily risked your reputation" Phoenix told me.
"Well for the kid, and for you, it would've been worth it."
"Can I give you guys a hug?" Connor asked
"Of course"
Connor immediately hugged onto me, I hugged him back, I could just feel how much he appreciated all of this just by the hug alone.
"Are you guys going to take Connor and Benji to stay at your place, Ms. Shepard?"" Phoenix asked.
Ms. Shepard looked down at her children, then back up at the two of us.
"Well I am their next legal guardian so the sounds like it's the plan" she said.
I was relatively disappointed, same with Phoenix, but we couldn't complain at all really, both of them seemed really happy with their mother.
"But, my Benji has taken quite a liking to you two, so I wouldn't mind if he came to visit every now and then."
My heart skipped a beat, "really??" I said, trying not to look too excited.
Ms. Shepard nods, "yes, they could use a good father figure."
"Wouldn't that be more of an uncle or a grandpa?" Phoenix asked, making an actually good point.
"It would, but considering Bernard was really the last male of the Shepherd family of legal guardian age that was still alive, we don't have a lot of options."
"And you're completely ok with this?"
"Oh yes! My Benji kept telling me how much he loved talking with the two of you, you both had a naturally maternal instinct, and now I can see why." Ms. Shepard chuckled a little after that sentence.
Phoenix smiled and looked down at Benji, "oh you're gonna have so much fun, you're gonna love Trucy when she gets back."
Benji tilts his head to the side a little, "who's Trucy?"
"My daughter, she's a magician."
Benji's eyes immediately lit up, "magician??? When can I meet her???"
Ms. Shepard looked at me, "you'll keep us updated when she returns?"
Phoenix nodded, "oh for sure, you're still more than welcome to visit before then."
"I will!" Benji hopped up and down excitedly, "I will I will I will!!"
"We should head off, again, we can't thank you enough for what you've done." Ms. Shepard said.
"It what we do." I said.
"I'll know who to contact next when I need a lawyer."
"We hope you have a great rest of your evening Ms. Shepard."
"Oh please, call me Marilyn."
"Well, we hope you have a great rest of your evening, Marilyn."
"I hope you boys have a lovely evening."