Scarlet Cheeks

Miles

My heart was beating faster and faster the closer we got to the restaurant. My hands kept slipping from the steering wheel from how much sweat was forming on my palms.
I pull into the Perch parking lot, my heart beating from my chest.
"Are you ok, Miles...?" Phoenix asks me.
I simply nod and get out of the car, Phoenix following close behind me.
Phoenix looked just as flustered as me, if not more. Why is that? Why would he be flustered over someone like me?
I walk up to the front desk, Phoenix staying by my side, looking awkward and adorable.
"I made a reservation, Miles Edgeworth." I say, trying my best to stay calm.
"Table for two?" She asks, I nod in reply.
She grabs two menus, some wine glasses and silverware and looked back up at us, "follow me You two." She walks off to find our table, Phoenix and I follow close behind her.
She eventually finds a table for us, setting down the menus, wine glasses and silverware.
"Have a seat you two, my name is Ava and I will me your waitress for tonight, can I get you two started off with some drinks? Maybe some wine?"
"We'll both have your finest red," I say, feeling a bit more comfortable.
"Alright, I will have that for you in no time!" Ava says, walking off.
Phoenix's eyes widen, "wine?? You know I can't handle more than two glasses! I'll be drunk by the end of tonight!
"That's what I'm going for."
"I didn't want you to order something as silly as water in a million dollar restaurant." I say, chuckling.
Phoenix awkwardly chuckles, hiding his face behind the menu.
I smile, looking back down at my menu, looking at what to order.
Ava came back, holding two glasses of wine and another whole bottle, putting them on the table in front of us.
"Are the two of you ready to order?" Ava asks.
"Not quite yet, give us a few more minutes." I say, doing most of the talking. Ava nods and walks off.
Phoenix still had his face buried in his menu, I highly doubted he was actually looking at things he wanted to eat. He has scarlet cheeks, his much more intense than mine.
Phoenix lowers the menu for a second to take a sip of wine, he already looks drunk by how red his face is.
"Phoenix, are you doing alright?" I ask.
"Y-Yup- I'm a-okay!" Phoenix says, his words forming into a stuttering mess.
I couldn't help but smile at how flustered he is. He looked even more adorable than he normally is, but that makes my urges even more difficult to handle.
"Have you decided what you want yet?" I ask, "if not, I highly recommend the sirloin steak, it is one of my favorites."
Phoenix nods, "What are you getting?" He asks.
"Most likely the same as you." I reply.
Ava came back, her note pad in hand, "have you two figured out what you want?" She asks
I nod, "yes, we will both have the sirloin steak," I say, looking at Phoenix for confirmation, he responded with a nod.
"Alright, I'll get those for you two." Ava writes our dishes in her note pad, she took our menus and walked off.
Phoenix leaned over the table to get a little closer, "can I ask you a question, Miles?" He asks me.
"Ask away, Wright."
"This is a date, isn't it?"
It was my turn to have scarlet cheeks, though, I hid it better than Phoenix did.
"I-I plead the fifth." I say, taking a sip of wine.
Phoenix sits back down in his seat, he takes another sip of wine, which turns into another. It came to the point where I had to pour him another glass. He's extremely on edge.

~

We finished our food until our plates where clean. Phoenix was already slurring his words together, though he only had two glasses of wine, but he still was fully aware of what was going on, he wasn't drunk yet.
Ava came back with the check and a slice of cake, putting both on the table.
"Oh um, I'm terribly sorry but, we didn't order a cake." I say.
"Oh I know, it's on the house." Ava replied, looking at me and Phoenix before walking off.
I inspected the cake a little closer, and I finally realized what she was trying to do.
She put a slice of champagne cake in front of us. She wants to get us drunk.
"I can't eat this on my own," Phoenix says, completely oblivious to what he's getting himself into.
"I'll help you with it." I say. I reluctantly pick up my fork and take a bite of the cake. The taste of champagne was a little strong, but not that strong for someone who hasn't tasted champagne before, such as Phoenix.
"This is really good, I wonder why she gave us a free cake." Phoenix says, taking another bite.
"I'm quite confused about that myself." I say, technically lying because I know exactly what is going on.
After a few minutes, we finished the slice of cake and I wrote a check to the restaurant, leaving the book as well as a tip on the table.
Phoenix was still acting alright, but he won't in a little bit, the champagne takes a while to settle into the system.
I help him out of his seat and we walk out of the building and to the car.
Phoenix sat down in the passenger seat, fiddling with the seat belt. I put the keys into the ignition and start driving back home.
"Do you want me to drop you off at your house or do you want to come back to mine?" I ask.
"I wanna go back to yourz.." Phoenix says, his words already starting to slur.
I have no idea what was going on in Phoenix's head, but I have a strong feeling it's not that good.