The Aftermath

⚠️NSFW⚠️

Miles

The first trial was an absolute mess. Evidence wasn't correlating with each other, Phoenix and I where stuttering messes, it was all just a train wreck. That was the worst run trial that I've ever been a part of, it's not my fault, nor was it Phoenix's or the Judge's, it was the fault of Jack Winters.
Everyone stumbled out of the courtroom, Winters was staying close by Phoenix, with the blankest, and most emotionless expression on his face.
Phoenix on the other hand, looked like an absolute mess, he looked like he was on the verge of a mental breakdown.
Hesitantly, I pulled out my phone and gave Phoenix a quick text message.
Come over to my place at around 5:00 pm for some wine
I glanced over at Phoenix, who looked at his phone, he smiled slightly and started to reply.
I'll see you then💙
He looked over at me, I looked at him, I gave him a subtle smile and nod, so we don't look too suspicious.
Dick walked over to me, patting me on the back.
"You doin alright there boss?" He asked me.
"Yeah...I'm doing ok.." I said, covering my mouth as I yawn slightly.
"You look exhausted..."
"I am, I certainly am...I still have to look over evidence..."
Dick didn't know about the blackmail, I couldn't tell him about it, if I do, I run the risk of him blabbering about it in court. This man could not keep a secret for the life of him.
"I suggest dropping the bedtime crime work and getting to bed, you need the rest..." Dick said, rubbing my shoulder.
"I can't, I planned something with Phoe-....Wright, he looked on edge and I want to try and calm him down..." I said.
"Well, good luck with that, he looked like he was on the brink of a panic attack..."
That's why I invited him over
"I'll look over the evidence, you and Wright go do your thing."
I nodded and began to walk off.
"Oh-! Edgeworth-!"
I turn around to look at Dick one last time.
"Do you...do you really think that the kid did it...?"
I knew he was talking about Connor, I felt my heart drop at the mention of his name, and the fact that he's being accused for a crime he didn't commit.
"No...no I don't think he did it...and that's what I'm trying to prove..."
Dick nodded and smiled, "I hope you can, I don't wanna have to lock the poor kid up..."
He started to walk off as I walked up to my car, since my other car was completely totaled, I had to get a new car, which in all honesty, is much nicer than my other one.
I unlocked it and got into the driver's seat.
As I buckled the seatbelt, a thought occurred to me.
Even if we try to convict Connor, there still isn't enough evidence to convict him, meaning that Bernard's case could turn into a cold case and never be solved, which would be crushing for Benji. I couldn't allow that.
I had to find a loophole to this somehow, but I couldn't think of one, it seems so obvious that there is one, but I just can't put my finger on it.

~

I sat down in my living room, with the lights dimmed down so my eyes wouldn't strain, and a cup of Chamomile tea to ease my nerves. My phone buzzed from the coffee table. Picking it up, I see a text from Phoenix.
I'm here edgyboy
I set my tea down and walk up to the front door, opening it to see Phoenix, who was holding up a fist as if he's about to knock.
"Come in my darling," I said, smiling.
Phoenix's cheeks flushed as he stepped inside.
I walk into the kitchen and grab a bottle of wine from the wine rack, as well as two glasses.
"Feel free to finish my tea Phoenix while I get this prepared, it's Chamomile, so it will help you relax." I said from the kitchen.
Phoenix simply nodded, grabbed the cup and took a sip.
"Are you hungry? Cause I'm starving.." Phoenix asked.
"Indeed I am, I was just about to make some minestrone soup."
I glanced over at Phoenix, his eyes lit up like the Empire State Building on New Years Eve.
"That sounds delicious-!" He said, I couldn't help but smile at how adorable he is.
"Minestrone soup it is!" I said, as I got out the ingredients.
Phoenix finished up the rest of my tea and set down the cup, letting out a content sigh as he laid back and relaxed.
"Did the tea help?"
"Oh it sure did.." Phoenix said, closing his eyes.
I brought over the wine and two glasses, sitting down next to Phoenix. I carefully set them down, to be sure not to make any noise.
I leaned close to Phoenix and gave him a quick peck on the lips, he opened his eyes and pouted a little.
"Awww, that was short..." he said, his tone of voice pouty and whiny.
"Oh hush," I kissed him again, but this time it was a bit longer, I placed my hand on his cheek and stroked his jawline with my thumb. I slowly pulled away, leaving Phoenix to look me in the eyes like a lost puppy.
"Ah ah, be patient Wright, you'll get more later," I said.
Phoenix smiled widely and sat up, I smiled and went back to finish making dinner.