Chapter 1: Enough Beignets

~Klaus POV~

Over a year after she had come back into his life, Klaus and his girlfriend were walking through the French Quarter. There were only a few hours before his time became dedicated to his daughter, so the couple were taking advantage of their time together now. But that didn't stop Klaus' head from running rampant with all the plans he had for him and his daughter.

"Do you think I bought enough beignets?" Klaus asked Amelia, who laughed softly. "She is very small, but she runs through those things like her life depends on it. I don't want to buy too many, or she won't go to sleep, but if I don't buy enough, we'll never hear the end of it."

"Nik honey, you bought enough, so you can stop fussing." Amelia told him.

"But it's her 16th birthday!" Klaus continued. "She's so been looking forward to it and I don't want her to regret deciding to spend it at home with us instead of at school with the Saltzmans."

"Those twins are lovely!" Amelia insisted.

"Oh, I'm sure." Klaus muttered with a roll of his eyes. "And being raised by Alaric certainly won't give them any preconceived notions about me."

"Caroline is their mother too."

"I'm not sure that's any better."

"Nik." Amelia stopped in the middle of the street and cupped her boyfriend's face in her hands. "Grace is going to love her birthday because she is here with you. And I'm sure she'll have a fun time with friends later. But for now...maybe just relax so she has a father to come home to, hm?"

"Fine." The hybrid said with a calm sigh. "At the very least it'll be nice having her here."

"You know it will."

"You are very good at calming me down, are you absolutely certain you're not a witch?" Klaus teased.

"I don't need to magic to cast a spell on you."

Amelia leaned up to kiss him and Klaus reciprocated as a warmth spread through him. "I am so glad you came back to me."

"So am I." She said with a beam. "Speaking of..."

"Here we go."

"Klaus, it has been long enough!" Amelia said with a huff. "You're going to have to tell her at some point."

"I know but I don't want to make her birthday about us." Klaus countered non-commitally.

"You don't have to make a big deal about it." Amelia added. "Just say, Amelia and I are madly in love, and it doesn't seem like that's going to change anytime soon, I hope you are okay with this because I am going to propose to her right now as well."

Klaus instantly found it significantly harder to breathe.

"Jeez Nik, I was joking." Amelia told him with a laugh that didn't quite meet her eyes. "Besides, that would be a terrible proposal."

"I suppose I just didn't realise you were thinking about marriage." He murmured, still reeling from the shock.

"And I'm not." She assured him. "But I am thinking about commitment. And if you can't even tell your daughter about us, then I can't be sure that you are."

"I am." He insisted, taking her hand and pressing a kiss to it. "And to prove it, I will tell Grace about us. I promise."

"Good." Amelia leaned up and pecked his lips before pulling away with a smile.

"But not tonight..." Klaus said as he interlocked their hands and steered her away. "Tonight, I need to focus on having the right number of beignets."