Chapter 15: Dangerously Co-dependent

A/N: Happy Enigma Day everybody!

Also less than 15 chapters and already 1k reads, you guys are unmatched!!!!!

After my infuriating meeting with my father, I had returned to the states. But as soon as I found my way back to her evil lair, Anastasia had chased me out—no doubt to spend some time with Elliott. I didn't get a lot of alone time since my sister had basically kidnapped me so I decided I would get some coffee and take some time to bathe in the sweltering heat.

I was in my new favourite disguise with dark red hair and dark brown eyes and I had actually come to enjoy my newfound anonymity. In Mystic Falls and in New Orleans, I couldn't go anywhere without someone's eyes on me, so to walk around in the sunshine without a single person knowing who I was a delight I was happy to embrace.

"One regular black coffee please." I ordered.

"That's $3.50." Replied the barista.

"Don't worry about it, it's on me."

I instantly froze at the sound of a voice I did not expect to hear for a very long time.

"That's a very kind gesture, but I don't need it." I really wasn't prepared to run into Nik so soon, so I could only spare the tiniest glimpse. But even with that momentary glance, my heart bloomed with love for my husband. He'd grown out his hair a little and had come to embrace his pretty blonde ringlets in our time apart. But his blue eyes and the powerful gaze of them remained unchanging. And in my efforts to not drown in them, I turned my head right back to the barista. "I'm sure your money is better spent on others."

"You're right." I almost exhaled in relief, satisfied that my disguise was doing its job. But then he pulled out two $100 bills and I knew the jig was up. "You can use this to pay for everyone's coffee today. I'm trying to pay it forward."

"I'm sure you have a lot to pay for." I retorted.

"Ma'am, if this man is bothering you, I can ask him to leave." The barista kindly offered.

"He's harmless." I replied with a direct look at him now, the games were clearly nearing the end.

"You wound me!" He said with a clutch of his heart.

"Oh sorry, I didn't realise you knew each other." The barista replied sheepishly.

"We know each other as well as any two people can."

Within a few languid steps, Nik was at my side and slung his arm around my shoulders, daring me to react. A bored look on my face, I merely turned back to the barista.

"He'll have a hot chocolate. Three sugars."

"You remembered; I'm touched."

I rolled my eyes, my indifference slowly morphing into annoyance. The barista was clearly hoping to be relieved from this awkwardness and so our orders were made post haste.

"Thank you." I replied with as warm a smile I could muster. "And sorry about... him."

"It's fine." The barista said with a warm laugh. "You guys seem like a fun couple."

I grit my teeth in discomfort, but I also felt no need to explain our very complicated situation to our barista. Nik picked up the drinks, clearly ready to depart, when I turned to him with an expectant look.

"No tip?" I asked. "This young lady put a lot on the line to try and protect me."

"You really don't need to—"

"Of course." Nik dove into his seemingly endless pocket and pulled out 300 this time. "Not everyone can stand up to the big bad wolf."

"I suppose you were going to huff and puff and blow her coffee shop down." I said with a scoff. "Hate to break it to you, but this house is made of brick."