Chapter 28: Arms Up

A/N: Happy Enigma Day!

~Klaus POV~

Klaus and Amelia were painting side by side as they were prone to doing since his return from the war. The two had turned out to be kindred spirits, they both loved painting and were both determined to tear down her father's legacy in New Orleans. When they weren't painting, they were working on dismantling his empire piece by piece so naturally they spent much time together.

"Goodness Nik, that is sloppy work," she said as she glanced over at his work. "You should be ashamed of those brushstrokes."

He laughed, "And I suppose you can do better? Or are you too busy being the most derivative artist alive?"

"How dare you?" She said with an exaggerated gasp. "My work is completely my own. Besides, imitation is the highest form of flattery, everyone knows that."

He was about to retort but then the door flung open. In walked, or more appropriately stumbled, Fiore and a male companion Klaus did not recognise. Or like.

"Oh sorry, Victor," she said with slurred words as she hung onto him for dear life. "Wrong room. This is just Klaus and Amelia painting together. Again. Come on let's go to the bedroom."

His jaw clenched, "Bedroom?"

"Yes, bedroom," she confirmed. "Victor here was so kind to take me home, I promised he could stay the night."

"Fiore—"

"Focus on your friend Nik, I'll focus on mine."

Her eyes ran up and down Victor in a way that set Klaus's every inch ablaze. The door closed behind her, and Klaus was left fuming in her stead.

"She's trying to make you jealous."

"I know that."

"Then why are you letting it work?" She asked him. His eyes were still fixed to the door, and she turned him to face him. "Nik, the best thing to do is not give into her. Then she wins. You just have to wait her out."

"But—"

"But nothing. You have nothing to apologise for because she has nothing to be jealous about. We aren't doing anything wrong, are we?"

He shook his head no, but as her fingers ran softly across his cheek, he knew he wasn't doing something right either.

"Exactly, so let's just go back to having fun. Just the two of us, no interruptions."

Her smile brought comfort and her logic was sound, so he took a deep breath and returned to his art. Only his hold on the paintbrush was far stronger than before and he couldn't help but use his vampire hearing to listen in on their conversation. He dove in and out, hearing forced giggles and soft but inappropriate touches.

Then he heard something that would forever burn into his brain.

"Thank you so much for helping me out of dress, Victor, I feel so #much better."

In seconds Klaus had raced to the scene of the crime, ready to pounce on the fox I his henhouse but Fiore had anticipated this. She was already shielding Victor from him, in her barely there underdress.

"You will not hurt him," she told him.

"Oh wont I?" He snarled. "Why is he helping you out of your dress?"

Fiore smirked, "Well you certainly weren't going to do it."

"Fiore, I swear—"

"Why are you so bothered about what Victor and I do?" She asked him. "I thought you were with Amelia now?"