Chapter 8: God, I Hope You Find Peace

In the early morning before Anastasia had woken up, I headed outside and gazed upon the greenery I was surrounded with. We were well and truly in the middle of nowhere and the time I had for myself was far and few in between. So I would spend my time living vicariously through the family I might never get to see again.

I sat on my favourite hill and brought out my notebook, ready to write words I would never say aloud.

Sixteen. I hate that I had to miss another one of your birthdays, but knowing you, you had them eating out of the palm of your hand. I'm sure there's ten stables worth of horses running around that compound now that I'm not there to veto them.

I'm so glad that you spent it together, I know how much it would have meant to Nik that you wanted to celebrate with him. I only wish I was there to join you.

I heard you figured out I existed. I never wanted that for you. I worked so hard to ensure you would never have the burden of me. And I'm sure you hate me for staying away and maybe you have every right to.

"Do you regret it?"

I was startled from my writing by the sudden appearance of Elliott. His eyes were heavy, and I didn't need to see it to know that his heart was too. I shook my head and patted the space beside me.

"I didn't realise you were up."

He sat beside me and I pressed a kiss to his cheek, now that he was too tall for me to reach the top of his head.

"I've got a lot on my mind." He murmured morosely. "Hayley keeps texting me."

"Maybe you should reply." I suggested. "I'm sure she'd love to hear from you."

He sighed and shook his head. "That would only make things harder for her."

"You don't know that."

"I do." He insisted. "And clearly so do you. Otherwise you'd be sending those letters to Grace instead of keeping them in your diary."

"That's...fair." I muttered miserably. "But I do this to keep them safe. Who do you need to keep Hayley safe from?"

"Me."

"Elliott...It sounds like you regret it."

"I made a mistake." He confessed, tears filling his eyes. "I wish I could go back and do it all differently."

"Dwelling on the past does you no good." I reminded him. "You can beat yourself up about the past forever, but it won't change anything. You just focus on the future. That's what you're best at, right?"

He managed to let out a half-hearted laugh, before shaking his head and getting to his feet.

"Yeah. Maybe." He murmured quietly. "Anyway, I should get going. Only so much free time before Stasia wakes up and gets into dictator mode."

I smiled and watched him leave before returning to my letter for Grace.

Your brother just asked if I regretted my decision. And I'm sure you're wondering that too. But honestly Grace, I'd do it all again if it meant it would keep you safe.

So for your 16th birthday, I only have one gift to wish for you: peace. God, I hope you find peace, Grace.

I love you.

Happy birthday baby, love Mum.

~Elliott POV~

Spurred by his conversation with Fiore, Elliott got back to the spell that he had been dreading the completion of. Away from enquiring eyes, Elliott had been working on a séance of his own now that he was aware of all the spells in Anastasia's repertoire.