Chapter 7: What if She's Real?

~Grace POV~

Today was day three of ultimate punishment and Grace had reached her breaking point. Luckily for her, this was the also the agreed upon day that she would give her grand heartfelt apology to her family. Her parents and their partners were all at the dining table, waiting to begin their weekly family breakfast upon her arrival. They had been more than a little bit awkward ever since she had revealed her memories, but this was all about to change.

"Good morning everyone." She began with a smile.

Her father was nonplussed by her arrival but Hayley and even Amelia seemed somewhat delighted by her brightened demeanour. Her uncle shot her a warm smile, and though he was usually fairly quiet, he was currently the one who was speaking to her the most.

"Good morning to you too, did you sleep well?" Hayley asked as Grace took her seat beside her.

"With no TV to send her to sleep? Doubtful." Remarked her father with great bitterness.

"Nik." Amelia scolded, but her father simply rolled his eyes and resumed reading his newspaper.

Grace's first instinct was to deliver a verbal haymaker that would surely land her in more trouble, but there was far more at stake than just her feelings right now.

"I actually didn't." She replied. "I guess I just had a lot of time to think about how things used to be. And how much I wanted things to be back the way they were."

Elijah's eyes seemed to fasten themselves onto her with much more curiosity than anyone else in the room. Her father was also paying more attention, but he was trying (and failing) to remain more inconspicuous about it.

"I'm sorry." She began, reminding herself to swallow her pride as this was better for her in the long run. "I guess I just was really having a hard time. Things were changing so much that I just wanted to...cling onto something familiar. But I should never have taken it out on you guys. Mom, Amelia, I'm sorry for the way I've been treating you guys. But I promise it stops today. I know it'll take some time for you to forgive me but—"

Hayley's arms wrapped tightly around Grace and Grace responded in kind. Even though it meant denying her real mom again, Grace took comfort in knowing that she had taken one burden off of Hayley's shoulders.

"Of course I forgive you Grace." Hayley murmured into her hair. "I'm just so glad to have you back."

"And I forgive you too Gracie." Amelia's hand reached out to grab Grace's and the latter had to tense every inch of her body to keep from jerking out of her grasp.

When Hayley finally let her go, Grace met her father's eyes and he almost look angrier than when she was still talking about Fiore.

"Why now?" He asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you decide now to give it up?" He continued. "Because you missed your phone, is that it?"

"Nik, you don't need to—"

"Answer me, Grace." The hybrid once again pressed Grace for answers, paying no mind to Amelia's words.

"Why are you mad at me?" Grace asked in disbelief. "I told you why, I was tired of everyone being angry at me. This is what you wanted."

"Excuse me if I find it hard to believe you simply decided to give up your strongest convictions on a whim."

"I was tired of being isolated, is that what you want me to say?" Grace asked, uncharacteristically losing her temper. "Mom hated me, Amelia hated me, you hated me! The only person in this entire house that cared about making eye contact with me was Elijah of all people! I missed my friends, and I missed my family. But how would you know that? All you know is how to push your family away until there's no one left to care about you!"