Chapter 32: A Terrible Husband and An Only Slightly Better Father

A/N: I got lazy lol so no additional September update and tbh November is looking crazy right now so there might not be one then either ooops.

Also I need to stop teasing chapters I haven't written yet cuz I have completely changed my mind on what I wanted in this chapter. 

Regardless, enjoy!

~Klaus POV~

Klaus sat at the bar, already regretting his decision to stay with Amelia. He was taking a gamble in a game he had no business playing. With this reaffirmation, Amelia was only asking for even more commitment. He was only entertaining Amelia because Fiore continued to push him away, but this would only push her even further away. And it didn't matter whether or not Fiore wanted him, because he wanted her. He always wanted her.

His predicament was a stark reminder that for all the progress he had made, he was only one moment away from reverting to his old ways.

"Is this because of the full house or because of the godlike witch praying on our downfall?" Freya asked as she slid into a seat beside him.

"Who says it can't be both?"

She scoffed, "You aren't that good at multitasking."

He huffed a laugh, but even he didn't buy it. His sister nudged him with searching eyes for an answer truer than the one he was prepared to give.

"Come on Nik, what is it?"

He sighed, knowing Freya was unlikely to let this go unanswered, "It's Fiore."

"Ah, woman troubles," She got to her feet and started waddling towards the door. "Come on the bakery is going to close in less than an hour."

"Freya—"

"I know you are not about to deny a pregnant woman of her wishes."

He groaned, but nonetheless went to follow her into the streets of the French Quarter. The two walked in silence as Freya walked purposely through the market. He wasn't exactly sure why she had insisted on him following her, but he was sure this trip would come with a heaping of older sibling advice that he had truly little interest in hearing.

"Here we are!" She exclaimed once they reached Loretta's.

"Freya, there's a line as long as the Mississippi here," he said, but she only rolled her eyes.

"As if that's ever stopped you. Besides, watch this."

Freya stood at the end of the queue, before putting her hand behind her back and groaning. The woman in front of her turned to her in immediate alarm.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

"No, of course," Freya insisted, waving her off. "I'm just tired. This pregnancy is taking a lot out of me. But I don't think I'll last the night without one of these beignets. Baby and mom love them."

"Do you want to go in front of me?" The lady offered. "Better yet, let's just get you to the front."

"Really? Thank you so much!" Freya feigned gratitude, shooting her brother a mischievous wink as she was escorted to the front of the queue. "I'll have 7 crab beignets, 4 praline beignets and 3 praline cookies. What about you Nik?"

"3 original flavour beignets, please."

"Typical," Freya said with a knowing smirk.

Their order was made post-haste and the two of them took a seat outside, where they could watch the people of New Orleans go by, and Freya could embrace the brisk cool air.