Chapter 3: Grandpa

~Grace POV~

That afternoon, Grace had packed a small suitcase and was almost ready for her trip, save for one massive detail—her father's permission. She knew this was going to break his heart, but she couldn't really see any other options. She had to know who this stranger was and this was the only way to find out.

Her father was painting in his study and Grace couldn't help but smile at the sight of it. She was about to venture further into his room when her father's sharp voice cut through the room.

"Don't take one more step." She halted as her father stepped away from his painting. "Close your eyes."

Grace laughed but did as her dad asked of her. "If I had to guess, I'd say this is a birthday present."

"My daughter the detective." He stepped out of the room and led Grace away from the door.

"Nice try Dad, but I think we both know I'm never getting a job." Grace told him with a teasing grin.

"Perfect, you'll just live here with me forever."

"I take it all back."

"Well then besides trying to rip out my heart, what did you come to see me for?" He asked.

"You think I was ripping your heart out before, wait until you hear what I have to say." Grace murmured glumly, genuinely upset to break the news to her father. "Lizzie and Josie surprised me with tickets to Sweden."

"That feels like it'd be out of the price range for two teenage girls." Klaus began sceptically.

"Well, I'm assuming it's from Ric and Caroline as well."

"Yes, well as unnecessarily extravagant as that is, it's a lovely gesture all the same." The hybrid muttered dismissively. "I'll be sure to send my thank you card in the post. When is this trip?"

"My flight leaves tomorrow..."

"But that means...oh." Klaus looked devastated for a moment but quickly regained his composure. "And here I thought you were looking forward to spending your birthday at home."

"I was! Honestly." She assured him. "But the ticket's already been bought and it'll be fun to go on a trip with my friends."

"Hm."

"But I won't go if you don't want me to."

Klaus paused and mulled over the thought as Grace realised he might just decide not to let her go. "You really want to go?" She nodded enthusiastically and her father sighed. "Fine, you can go."

"Thank you so much Dad, I'll love you forever!" The young girl leapt into her father's arms and squeezed him tightly.

"And here I thought you were gonna love me forever before." He said with a gruff laugh.

"Even after forever then."

"Yes, well I'm not completely insane, so I do need to insist on parental supervision." He told her as he pulled away with a stern look. "Either Alaric or—"

"We're flying alone, but Aunt Caroline will meet us in Sweden." She lied effortlessly, even though she hated having to crush her father's heart, knowing how much he had been looking forward to spending her birthday with her.

"Alright." He sighed and turned to her with a soft smile. "And seeing as you aren't going to be here, I might as well show you the painting now."

"Yay early presents!" Grace said giddily as her father led her back into the study. "That's not my only present is it?"