Chapter 16: A Breakup Is Not a Death

"So, I never took you for a Texan." Klaus remarked.

I had allowed Klaus his request of one night and as we walked under the blazing Houston sun, I was sorely regretting it already.

"I'm not." I refuted. "This was Anastasia's choice of base."

"I should have known." Klaus said with a soft laugh. "Left to your own devices you'd be two doors down from Disneyworld."

"...They do have the best carousels."

Even though I knew this would only end in disaster, it was nice to have something breaking up the monotony. And though it wasn't love I felt towards him, it was comforting to enjoy the familiarity of him.

"You know, you only have until midnight." I reminded him as we continued to wander aimlessly. "So you might want to make a decision fairly soon."

"Well if I had time, I could have planned the most amazing date for you." He replied. "But I'm working with no notice and an unfamiliar location so bear with me a little."

"This is not a date." I corrected.

"What word would you use to describe a husband trying to treat his long-lost wife to a nice night before she inexplicably decides to return to her evil half-sister wife at the stroke of midnight?"

"...Complicated dynamics of a modern family."

"There is nothing modern about our family." He countered before drawing to a stop. "Speaking of, we're here."

I looked up at what seemed to be a recreational centre that was so ugly and old I might have thought it pre-dated me. There was the faint sound of music playing that suggested some sort of party was taking place but the sign on the front of the building made me think we were not the recommended clientele.

"This is a party for the elderly." I told Nik as he dragged me to a senior citizens home.

"Then at 2077 years of age you'll fit right in." He said with a smirk.

When we arrived at the attendants table, the young lady beamed up at us, before letting her eyes run up and down my husband's frame.

"Hello and welcome to Wooden Oaks Home for the Elderly! My name is Jessica and if you tell me who you're here to see, I can send you right through." She explained. She had the decency to at least try and keep her voice even, but her lustful gaze still betrayed her.

"Actually, I'm not here to see anyone." Nik began.

"What can I help you with? Love that accent by the way." She flirted.

"Well—"

"My husband and I were looking for a fun way to spend the evening when we came across this place." I began, taking Nik's hand in mine as I spoke. I didn't need to look at him to see the satisfactory grin I knew was on his face. "Do you mind if we crash the party?"

"Of course not!" She replied gleefully. "The more the merrier! Besides, these guys could do with a bit of fresh blood. Just write your names on these tags and slide right in."

I went to take the tag, but Nik intercepted and grabbed the name tags instead. "Don't worry my love, I've got this."

He lay a soft kiss on my cheek, that against my every instinct warmed my heart. He quickly scribbled down our names, handed me the tag and led me into the dancehall.

The interior was a significant upgrade from what the exterior had suggested, but that wasn't really saying much. It was a simple recreational hall, with a few streamers and balloons in an attempt to signify it was a party. Various guests upwards of 75 danced around the hall, surely a lot gladder to be here than I was.