Chapter 29: They Were Just Friends

~Elijah POV~

Elijah sat at the bar table, curiously watching Amelia and Klaus frolic about the compound. Klaus had just been rejected by Fiore, which would usually result in a tearing up of their home, and yet there he was, seemingly unfazed.

He knew deep down inside, Klaus and Amelia would be short-lived and was already on a fast descent to the end. But he also knew that Klaus was prone to toeing the line and Fiore was not so forgiving these days.

Elijah was soon joined by Hayley who gave the couple the same concerned gaze before turning to him with a questioning look.

"I don't know what I like more, loved-up Klaus or Klaus the Destroyer," Hayley told him.

Things between the two of them had been notably awkward since the reveal of his betrayal, with Hayley taking deliberate efforts to avoid him. In fact, this was the first time she had engaged him in conversation since. He knew her well enough to know things were not fixed between them, but this was an olive branch regardless.

"At least Klaus the Destroyer is only temporary," Elijah replied bitterly. "It appears as if this iteration is here to stay."

He downed his drink and topped up his glass, pouring one for Hayley as well. She swirled the glass in her hand before turning to him intently.

"He said they were friends when they knew each other last time," she said.

"They...were."

"You don't seem convinced."

Elijah turned stiff as a chalkboard, "I wasn't—I didn't—I...It's best to not get too involved in Klaus and Fiore's marriage."

"And here I thought I was talking about his friend," said Hayley, a brow raised in suspicion.

"It was—It was a friendship that Fiore didn't care for," he mumbled, but Hayley only turned him to face her. It took everything within him not to cower underneath her steely determination.

"Elijah, trust me. Please," she said. "Whatever happened between them is obviously gonna affect us now, so just tell me."

Hayley's pleading eyes made him realise this was about more than Klaus and Amelia, it was about them. He had betrayed her trust, and this was his chance to make up for it.

And so he nodded, "Amelia was her handmaiden. They grew close when Niklaus went to war. Then he returned and the two of them grew close. Fiore found their friendship...inappropriate. She told him as much, but Klaus maintained there was nothing for her to worry about. Fiore didn't agree. Finally she reached her breaking point and demanded Klaus send Amelia away, unfortunately my brother likes to toe the line and that day was no different."

"Oh whatever," Amelia dismissed as she held onto him tightly. "We are merely friends; Fiore should overcome her jealousy."

"And while I agree with you, until the day comes where Fiore truly is content with our relationship, you must leave. She will kill you."

"And will you not protect me?" The girl asked with wide eyes and a tilted head. "As my very good friend, surely you would not allow Fiore to kill me."

"I can only do what I know to be best for you," Klaus told her as he ran his thumb across her cheek. "And that is telling you to go."

"I don't want to leave you."

The redhead engulfed Klaus is a tight embrace which the hybrid sombrely reciprocated, but his heart pounded in fear of what Fiore would do to her if they were caught.