Chapter 13: A Myriad or Two

~Grace POV~

She had exhausted all her other avenues and for a party that had been about getting answers, Grace was leaving with more questions. The only lead she had managed to obtain was her Uncle Elijah—and if she was being honest, it was tentative at best.

Elijah was dancing with Hayley and though they were admittedly adorable, there was no time for swooning. So she made her way to the two with a wide grin, quickly picking up on her uncle's wary eyes.

"Well don't you two look cute." Grace said to the enamoured pair.

"Your mother is a very beautiful woman." Elijah replied.

"And Elijah is a very—"

"Okay, that is more than enough!" Grace interrupted. "Besides, I was looking to cut in."

"Of course." Elijah began. "I'll leave you—"

"Actually Uncle Elijah, I wanted to see if you would dance with me."

"Oh. I couldn't possibly—"

"Aren't you supposed to be the gentleman to end all gentlmenses?" Hayley teased. "You cannot deny the birthday girl anything on her day!"

"Well in that case, Mom I would really like a—"

"I am running away before I get tricked into buying you something you don't deserve." Hayley kissed them both on the cheek, leaving Elijah and Grace to stare intently at one another.

"So about that dance?" Grace asked, refusing to let him weasel out of her request.

"Who am I to deny the birthday girl?"

Elijah took her hand and the two of them swayed softly on the dancefloor to the music. She caught a glimpse of her Aunt Hayley watching them, nearly moved to tears at the sight.

"So, you and my mom, huh?" The tribrid began.

"Grace, I hate to break it to you, but we've been together a long time." Elijah teased.

"Very funny." She said with a shake of her head. "But for real...are you guys happy? And in love?"

"Yes, very much so."

"What about my dad?" Elijah had started to relax as they spoke about Hayley, but the mention of Klaus had made him noticeably tense.

"What about him?"

"Do you think he's happy? And in love?"

"...You'd have to ask him."

"So that's a no."

"Grace—"

"I hate seeing them together." She confessed, chancing a glance at the seemingly happy couple. "Because I know my dad thinks he's happy, but he's not. I've seen him be happy and this is...this will never compare."

"What makes you so sure?" He asked hesitantly.

"When he tells those stories about my mo—I mean Fiore, his eyes light up." She explained. "He feels real."

"I'm glad these stories have such a treasured place in your heart." Her uncle said with a warm smile.

"Yeah...My favourite is about her baby shower." Grace began, hoping for another telling reaction. "The theme was purple and silver. It's why I chose it actually."

"Your father told you the story of this Fiore's baby shower with so much detail you know the colour code?" Elijah asked sceptically.

"Well, I had to ask some probing questions but—"