Chapter 4: Anything to Protect Me

~Klaus POV~

Klaus sat at his desk looking at a photo of him and his daughter on her 2nd birthday, the first one he had been able to spend with her. Having missed most of his daughter's birthdays, missing this one was not new to him, but it didn't make it hurt any less. Especially since he had watched the day slip through his fingers at the last second.

So, when the phone rang, Klaus leapt at it.

"Hello?" He began excitedly.

"Oh. Mr Mikaelson."

"Lizzie!" Josie scolded.

"I mean—hello Mr Mikaelson." Lizzie corrected causing Klaus to roll his eyes.

"Elizabeth, hello." He continued. "What can I do for you?"

"We wanted to say hello to Grace and she's not picking up her phone." She explained.

"You wanted to say hello to Grace? So you called here?"

"Uhhh yeah? That's what I said."

"Well that is interesting because I thought Grace was on holiday with you." Klaus told her.

"Oh. Oh! She is! She and Josie went." Lizzie said far too quickly. "I'm sick so I didn't go."

"You said we earlier."

"Yeah we as in MG and I." Lizzie told him.

"That's funny because I could have sworn I heard Josie's voice earlier."

"Nope. Just MG!"

"Hm. Well how are they enjoying France? I haven't heard from them."

"Beautiful! I'll make sure Grace sends you those pics from the Eiffel tower." Lizzie continued to lie.

"She said you went to Sweden."

"Crap."

"Good effort though." Klaus added. "I suppose it's safe to assume she didn't tell you anything."

"I'm not getting her into any more trouble so...bye!"

The phone cut and Klaus' mind went into panic mode as he realised he had no idea where his daughter was.

But he was gonna move heaven and earth to find out.

~Silas POV~

Silas had taken Grace to a large and secluded hill in the deep countryside of Sweden. The Northern Lights shone brightly above her but as nice as the view was, Grace couldn't help but wonder if trusting this essential stranger was a mistake.

"Are you alright?" Silas asked her.

"Well seeing as I chose to spend my 16th birthday with a stranger claiming to be my grandpa, I'm almost certain the answer is no." Grace teased causing Silas to laugh softly.

"Funny." He remarked. "You really are your mother's daughter."

"You mean Fiore, right?"

"Yes."

"Can I ask you something? About her?"

"You can ask me anything."

"When my dad tells me stories about her...he mentioned her dad a couple times." It wasn't lost on Grace that Silas tensed up at this mention. "Their relationship isn't great."

"I'd like to say that isn't a fair assessment but..." Silas sighed and ran his hand down his face tiredly. "The relationship between your mother and I was fraught to say the least. I made many mistakes and did many things that I'm not proud of. But Fiore is an incredibly strong woman and I couldn't be more proud of her if I tried. And every day I work hard so that I can be someone she can be proud of too."