vii. ah, monets

many more monets!

❝ many more monets! ❞

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

          THERE WAS A LIMITED amount of things that could scare an Original vampireㅡeven less for the Original hybridㅡand yes, for Niklaus Mikaelson, meeting the love of his immortal life's parents was one of them. A face down with his despicable father and a White Oak stake sounded less daunting compared to the situation that was about to unfold.

          Rosalie glanced at him, raising an eyebrow. They were nearly at the Monet household, which was not too far from the Town Square. The lampposts contrasted the darkness with its bright lights, illuminating the pathway. Only a few people were in the area, most of which were too drunk to walk straight. Clearly, the town's Christmas celebration had gone well.

          "Are you all right?" the brunette questioned. "You look like you're going to be sick."

          "I'm fine. Everything will be fine." It was not fine. The hybrid wanted to bring a bottle of wine, or a fruit basket, or something; but Rosalie had shot him down, saying that it wasn't necessary. What was he thinking, agreeing to meet her family? He didn't think because he jumped at the opportunity to spend time with Rosalie, and now he was going to meet her parents unprepared. Dying would be a better fate. Nik glanced at what he was wearing: black jeans, a leather jacket with a thin, grey sweater underneath. Great, he was going to meet them dressed down. Where was Elijah when you needed a suit?

          "Right..." Rosalie snickered a bit, not understanding why he was so on edge. It was just a family gathering, wasn't it? Speaking of family gatherings, "Hey, are you sure your siblings can't make it?"

          "No," he replied. "They're...occupied, at the moment. But they send their regards."

          She hummed, a bit sad that the other Mikaelson siblings wouldn't be able to join them. They had become quite close, in a way. The text messages weren't too frequent, and didn't feel like friendshipㅡit was more on the side of siblinghood. The type of bond wherein comfort was present without daily contact, where showing playfulness and honesty felt like a second nature.

          "Why are you so nervous?" the brunette asked, not unkindly. "They're just people. They eat, they cry, they fartㅡquite loudly too, but don't tell them I said that."

          Nik choked on a laugh, rubbing the back of his neck as he sighed. "Yeah, but they're your people. I want to make a good impression."

          She smiled, her heart melting at his words. "You don't have to worry about a single thing, Nik. I know they're going to love you."

          The pair now stood in front of the porch, the sight of it alone making his palms sweat. "Besides, I'll be right there." She smiled, "Ready to defend you from embarrassing questions."