xi. sensual politics

fire on fire!

❝ fire on fire! ❞

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

IT WAS THE SUDDEN URGE to cough that eventually woke her, and she did so in a violent motion. As she coughed her lungs out, Rosalie was vaguely aware of someone rubbing her back, one she identified as Rebekah Mikaelson. "You're safe," the blonde kept repeating, sounding winded herself.

The Monet didn't even know where she was or what happened. Before she could think of possibilities, one intake of air had given her the answer, and one glance at the side had it confirmed.

The small building was aflame, though there was something strange about it because the fire never seemed to leave the interior. The windows were cracked, some were fully broken, shards of glass scattered all over. Smoke escaped from every crevice, yet the source remained inside.

The display of magic was overwhelming, so she looked away, directing her sights to the trees. The greenery was a much more calming view, until she detected movementㅡjust a blur of limbs. Rosalie was only half certain that she was imagining the blond man running towards her.

"Are you hurt? Can you tell me your siblings' names, love?" He instantly asked, worried she might be far too disoriented,  or that she'd have a concussion.

Niklaus Mikaelson was knelt in front of her, his hands cupping the sides of her face, though they were only barely touching ever. Even then, she felt them shaking. He was so worried, eyes wide with an emotion she could not recognize. She blinked, thinking about his question.

"Aㅡ" she choked, bursting in a coughing fit when she tried to speak. Nik was fussing over her in an instant, telling her comforting lines and rubbing her back. Unconsciously, Rosalie leaned into him, her body molding to his side as she tiredly sighed. Feeling dizzy, the Monet closed her eyes and sagged against him.

"You're okay, I've got you," he kept mumbling, still drawing mindless shapes on her back in such a soothing manner. Eventually, she whispered, as much as she could, "Alaska. Jacob."

He shifted his hold on her. Then, he was hugging her, and she felt everything all at once. It was like someone poured warm honey all over her, and her shock was fading as quickly as her resolve. Her breath hitched, feeling warmth everywhere. It was probably a bad time to recall it, but she truly believed the warmth was much greater than the flames she just escaped.

All because of him.

Before she could even say something, he mumbled above her, in a wavering voice. "Please." His arms tightened slightly, "Please let me hug you. Just for a moment."

Rosalie gulped, not knowing what to do, or what she felt, upon seeing him in such a distressed state. After some time, the brunette relaxed into him, melting in his embrace. With it, his thundering heartbeat slowly returned back to normal.