x. the finish line

welcome to the final show!

❝ welcome to the final show! ❞

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

          THE CEREMONY DIDN'T LAST too long, thankfully. Rosalie had received her diploma, an occurrence she had been anticipating since she started college, and she wanted to bolt out the door the moment her fingertips grazed its surface. For someone who had put so much effort, it was shocking that the urge to disappear was stronger than relief or happiness. She didn't even want to be there. The whole thing was completely overrated, people clapped after her speech was done and everyone looked sickeningly happy. Well, it would be strange to say otherwise, given the event she was attending, but she just wanted to go home, wherever that was.

          Becoming a licensed lawyer didn't give her as much happiness as she had expected, yet she kept on smiling for the sake of her family at the back of the room. Mrs Monet was dabbing a handkerchief at her tears, and beside her was a grinning Mr Monet, looking so proud. How could she ever think of disappointing them?

          Her siblings were sat next to them, clapping without much enthusiasm. Jacob was tugging at the collar of his button-down, irritation clear on his face. Beside him was Alaska, who was surprisingly wearing a dress. The make up hadn't covered her apparent fatigue, and Rosalie felt her stomach coil at the sight of it. Rosalie knew they were happy for her, but circumstances had forced them to act differently.

          "Hey, Rosalie, did you hear me?"

          The brunette looked up from her pasta, to be faced with the expectant gaze of her father. He wore a small, yet confused smile, eyes patient as he caught his daughter's attention.

          Rosalie felt her face flush upon realizing that she had zoned out for the umpteenth time. It was one thing to unconsciously do it in her lonesome, but for it to be witnessed by her family multiple times was just embarrassing. "Sorry, Dad." She gave a breathy chuckle to cover her humiliation. "Can you say it again, please?"

          "I said," Mr Monet reiterated, not unkindly. "I'm really proud of you, sweetheart. Really, really proud. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that you could do it."

          Oh. She swallowed hard at the words. For the first time in her life, her father directly said the sentence she had been craving to hear. I'm proud of you. Her parents, though kind, had never explicitly said what they wanted from her. Rosalie's academic success was something that was just...expected. She could vaguely recall her kindergarten teacher telling Mrs Monet what an 'excellent and advanced student' Rosalie was, and the look of pride her mother had gave her. It started and snowballed on from that moment.