iii. inferno

life before death!

❝ life before death! ❞

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

warning:
suicide

SOMEWHERE IN NORTHERN ITALY
sometime in the 1100's

IT IS OFTEN BELIEVED THAT, just moments before death, your life flashes before your eyes. In the threshold between life and death, every memory, good and bad, will present itself in a flashback.

For Niklaus Mikaelson, his flashback was a series of memories with her.

Her as a smiling child, introducing herself with a timid smile; her as a friend, running through the woods, stargazing, laughing around a fire; her as a confidant, covering bruises and wounds inflicted by his father, sharing the deepest of secrets; her as a part of his family, laughing with Elijah, joking around with Kol, making flower crowns with Rebekah, teasing Finn; her as a lover, secret meetings, private smiles, gentle touches.

He swore he could still feel the ghost of her touch, caressing his forehead in a way that made him feel drowsy with sleep.

Only this time, it wasn't sleep stealing his consciousness.

Niklaus Mikaelson lay on the forest floor, his eyes fluttering open and shut as he stared at the night sky. It would be morning by the time someone discovered his body. If he felt anything beyond this pain, he would feel sorry for the poor soul that encountered his corpse.

His breathing was heavy, as the wooden stake impaled through his chest made it difficult to breathe. Blood gushed from the wound, dampening his clothes and the ground he lay on. He had slit his own throat with a dagger beforehand, just for good measure.

The Original was practically swimming in his own blood, choking on the crimson liquid.

It was just how he wanted it.

He wanted nothing more than death to take himㅡback to her.

Niklaus fell into Death's waiting arms, a contented smile on his face at the prospect of seeing her once again.

All was well.

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

Quick, pacing footsteps barely made a sound in the dim room, a contradiction to how loud his thoughts were. His phone could have been glued to his ear from how long he mumbled into it. For the better part of the early morning, Klaus had been talking to one of his hybrids, who had been sent to search for anything that could help with Rosalie's state.

It didn't matter if it was limited to the city or if it was overseas, because he had every supernatural being and human that was indebted to him searching for any information on the Divine. After talking to Elijah, he reluctantly agreed to at least hear what Freya had to say.