i. after her

knight falls!

❝ knight falls! ❞

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

THE HALLS OF THE MANSION were the same, this was a fact known by its residents; but there was a heaviness in the atmosphere, something that whispered of a dark truth. Elijah Mikaelson was not entirely sure what it was that woke him from his slumber, just that he had a sudden urge to stay awake. He didn't even dare to look at the time, comfortable with knowing it was some time in the late hours of night.

He tiredly rubbed his face, trying to blink the sleep away. When his room became too suffocating, the vampire decided to trudge through the halls instead. His feet led him to his brother's room, making his heart drop.

Elijah stared at the hardwood door for what seemed like hours, before he finally twisted the knob open. It creaked noisily, making him internally wince. His chest clenched at the sight of them, an image so moving the vampire had to hold on to the door frame for support.

Rosalie was on the bed, looking beautiful as ever; but there was something haunting about her features now. Although she looked pale on regular days, she was never this colorless. Her clothes were no longer stained, as a loose nightgown now covered her body. Her curls rested on the sides of her neck and her chest, dry and ruffled.

It was quiet.

Far too quiet.

Rosalie Monet never took a breath, nor did her heart beat. Elijah shifted his gaze, landing on his brother on the floor. Niklaus was kneeling by her side, both hands holding hers as he rubbed his thumb over her palm.

The memories of what happened, of what he witnessed in that cursed church, was too fresh in Elijah's mind.

How his brother cradled her at the altar, tears streaming down his face.

How he stumbled on his own feet as he carried her, despite having the strength to demolish a building.

Elijah gulped, trying to bury the pain. It wasn't the first time he saw his younger brother be heartbroken, but the way Niklaus had held her body was reminiscent of the first time she died.

"Niklaus." Elijah whispered, his voice hoarse. "Can we talk?"

It was never said, but Klaus immediately picked up on what he implied. "She had some of my blood," the hybrid said in explanation. "Don't worry. We can talk here."

He stared blankly when Elijah made no move to enter the room. "I'm not leaving her."

"Niklaus..." Elijah said, softly. "Do not...Do not let this pain consume you."

The hybrid chuckled darkly, looking away from his older sibling. "Believe me, Elijah, you don't want to talk about what 'consumes me.' Is there anything else you wish to discuss?"

"Iㅡ" the brunet started, gulping, "I'm here for you, brother."

It could have been minutes or hours that passed since Elijah left him to his own devices, but he couldn't care less. The silence in the room was a reminder that her heart was immobile, a fact that chilled his bones every time he paid attention.