ix. a funeral for three

these violent delights!

❝ these violent delights! ❞

·° 。: ✰ : ·° 。

          IT WAS A STRANGE IDEA, she knew that without a question; but it was also a truth she couldn't deny. Ever since she started visiting that land of comfort and torture in her dreams, things had went downhill. Well, not completely (the same couldn't be said for her mental health). Those wretched illusions could bring her joy one night, and pain the next. It was either a portrait of bliss with the unnamed stranger, or a landscape of hell with blood and gore. There was no in-between, and it drove her mad.

          Thisㅡwhatever this wasㅡwas no different. The same warmth filled her senses, leaving the brunette dizzy with euphoria. Everything about everything was brighter, the colors were more defined, and the air was lighter. Like so many times before, she trudged through the forest, a path she had memorized like the back of her hand.

          Her footsteps were light as she skipped happily, the perfect picture of giddy anticipation for what was to come. Or rather, who she was about to meet.

          It was already difficult enough to hide their relationship from their friends and families, but both knew why it was necessary to do so. It wasn't like anything drastic would take placeㅡit was just easier to avoid being the center of attention and gossip, and focus on themselves for once. It was selfish to keep such a thing private, but it brought the pair so much happiness to be in their own world.

          Adrenaline rushed through her veins, a type of high blurring her senses. Her eyes were alight with life, and the smile never left her lips. In a light colored dress, she looked like a goddess. It was clinched at the waist, flowing down to reach her ankles. The fabric swayed every time she took a step, her wild curls moving freely.

          She saw the clearing, but no one was there. It was strange how empty it was, especially since he was always early. Whether it was under a blazing heat, or a torrential storm, he was always the early one in their meetings. The weather was perfectly fine, and he wasn't there.

          Her bones grew heavy at the thought that something was wrong.

          Maybe something came up. Or there was an emergency. Whatever it was, she wanted to be there for him. With the intention of finding her lover, she moved to return to the village.

           And...nothing.

          The path was no longer there, and her way home was lost. A shudder ran down her spine when a gust of wind blew past the other direction. Rustles followed suit, a dark blur of motion moving through the tall oaks. She turned to look at what it was, finding nothing unusual. The brunette backed away, then the same rush of motion passed behind her.