Chapter Nine ~ Storms

A severe sound of wind whooshing through the tree's could be heard behind the tall, gothic windows in my dorm room.

Twisting and turning in my bed while trying to fall asleep went on for awhile until I rolled over on my back and huffed as I stared up to the ceiling. The room was dark all around other than a small corner that had a hovering candle on a bedside table for one of the girls I shared my dorm with along with 3 other girls.

I stood up quietly from my bed and tip toed through the door and outside the common room to have some fresh air outside. Once I made it outside the wind brushed through my hair gently as the wind calmed down. I wondered over and stood at the same secret spot me and Draco share when we need alone time and sighed at the peaceful atmosphere with owls hooting and the sound of tress brushing against each other.

Not realising my eyes were shut I quickly blinked them open again when a sound of a twig snapping on the ground close by was heard. I looked around the dark area around me and furrowed my eyebrows when no one was in sight.

Shrugging to myself, I pulled out a packet of cigarettes that I managed to get from the muggle world in the summer and lit the end while watching as the cigarette burned into a dim, orange colour at the tip. While blowing the smoke in the air slowly with my eyes relaxed, the sound of grass shuffling close by was heard once again.

I suddenly felt panic and confusion hit me as I looked around and still couldn't see anyone in sight. As I looked over my shoulder to see if someone was their I turned back around before gasping as I knocked into a tall figure causing me to drop my cigarette on the ground.

While their hand was holding my waist to keep my steady and my hands clasped on the clothes at the sudden shock, the person finally spoke up and make me realise who exactly it was.

"Now, now, what do we have here?" Lucius Malfoy tutted as he looked down to me with a raised eyebrow and a amused expression on his face.

"I- I was only-" I stuttered on my words before being stopped with Lucius putting his finger in the air to silence me.

"Let alone being out after curfew, it seems she also enjoys playing with fire?" Lucius looked below our feet causing me to look down as well to see a lighter and my cigarette on the floor.

I stayed silent as I avoided eye contact with him as he stood on top of the cigarette and twisted his foot slightly to put it out fully.

"But I'm sure it's not the only thing you like to play with at this time of night, hm?" He tilted his head as he spoke with a innocent tone but a devilish smirk playing on his lips.

My mouth fell open at his remark but his cane met with my jaw and closed my mouth shut before he bent down towards my ear and spoke below a whisper for only me to hear.

"We wouldn't want you to have a lock jaw just yet, darling." He smirked to me before releasing his cane from my chin.

My cheeks was a dust of red and embarrassment was written all across my face as I looked at Lucius, trying to find the correct words to say back to him but nothing came.

Suddenly a cold breeze blew past us and caused me to shiver through my skin which caught Lucius's attention as he unclasped his cloak and wrapped it around my shoulders before pulling me closer to him for warmth.

"Thank you." I said quietly with a grateful smile on my lips as I stared up to him and our eyes met with one another.

A faint smile formed on his lips when he stared back to me with a comforting silence around us.

"You're very different from what I thought you would be." He whispered to himself as he in a lace of thoughts as he gazed at me.

I thought for a quiet moment as to if I should kiss him or not as I didn't want to make a fool of myself but suddenly his hand rested on the side of my face like I was a fragile object as he stroked my hair away from my face but all of a sudden the wind grew more heavy by the seconds and thunder started to erupt up above us.

We both furrowed our eyebrows at the sudden weather change and squinted our eyes up to the sky that was now coated with gloomy grey clouds with slight tinge of green that seemed to be a light behind the clouds.

Lucius's expression was now hollow and stern as he pursed his lips in his disgust making me giggle under my breath. He turned his head towards me once again but caused my smile to fade as he stared at me with anger in his eyes.

I furrowed my eyebrows with confusion but rested the palm of my hand on his cheek, softly grazing the stub of his beard with the pad on my thumb. It was silent.

His eyes said nothing, told no detail as to why his expression changed in that instant. The air was bitter cold just like his stare making me frown faintly.

The sound of a twig snapping then caught our attention and quickly Lucius drew his wand out of his cane that was used like a shield and pointed it firmly to the darkness, not daring to make any sudden move.

I stood completely still behind Lucius's back as a cover before a dull voice spoke to Lucius.

"Make I ask why you're out here Lucius?" Snape asked with a hint of irritation in his tone of voice not caring about the wand being daringly pointed towards him.

"No." Lucius said blankly as he lowed his wand and slipped it back into the cane.

Snape's expression formed even more frustrated as he rolled his eyes at the man that stood across from him only until his eyes diverted away from Lucius and to something behind him. Snape cocked a eyebrow as a faint, smug smirk tugged on the corner of his lips.

Lucius must have copped on to this as he discreetly put his other hand behind his back and point to his left which aimed to the tree beside us. My eyes widened as I heard slow and taunting footsteps inch closer and closer to Lucius making me quietly tip toe over the twigs and towards the tree.

"Well what do we have here." Snape said suddenly as he stood in front of Lucius but glancing behind him.

Lucius widened his eyes slightly and turned around thinking he would see me but I was no where to be seen in their eyes. The only thing that caught Snape's attention was the damp bud from the cigarette I had moments before. Lucius's lips formed into a smirk as he stood up formally as he gripped his cane as he had a amused facial expression on his features while staring to Severus.

Clever girl

Lucius thought to himself proudly as he was impressed at my hide away so fast but quietly.

"You should know smoking isn't allowed on school premises." Snape said darkly as his face was blank.

Lucius shrugged his shoulders once as he let out a low chuckle. "Must of slipped my mind." He said with a hint of a smile of amusement on his lips.

"Well let's make sure it doesn't slip to something else." Snape raised a eyebrow as he narrowed his eyes directly to Lucius but Lucius didn't budge with any expression change.

"Let's." Lucius was now staring at the man blankly with his lip pursed up in annoyance.

Snape walked away with his cloak waving around the ground freely as he made his way back into the ancient castle. Lucius let out a huff and looked up to the sky that was now starting to spit with rain though the tinge of green in the clouds was gone.

"You can come out now little one." Lucius said to what looked like no one at all but then I slowly crept out from behind the tree.

"Thanks for helping me." I said quietly.

He lifted a faint smile before speaking once again. "Go to bed before you get caught by that caretaker." He said with distaste about Filch.

"Goodnight Mr Malfoy." I said to him politely while taking off his cloak and handing it to him.

"Goodnight Miss Kardin." He gazed upon me as I wandered silently back into the castle.

~*~*~*~