Chapter 1 | The boy who got shot

I peered over the wooden railing of our porch, taking in the calming view. The sun was shining and the weather was clear today.

"What do you do out here all day long?" I say glancing to my sister whilst attempting to kick to side of the railing. She looks at me and rolls her green eyes.

"Stop kicking that, go back inside." She says in an annoyed tone completely ignoring my question.

I carry on kicking the side railing. She can't tell me what to do, I do what I want.

She gives up on trying to get me to go inside I see her run her hands through her short brown hair as I look away into the distance.

I see something moving. What is it? A Walker? No they don't run.

"Maggie?" I said as I immediately stopped kicking the railing trying to get a better view of the figure moving in the grass.

Maggie quickly picks her binoculars looking panicked which only made me panic.

"Daddy." I shout as I finally understand what the thing running is. It's a man who looked like a police officer with his uniform on his face looked scared. I saw him holding a young boy who looks like he has been injured. Oh shit.

My daddy busts the door open making me and Maggie look at him, the man runs closer and is near the porch steps.

"Was he bit?" My daddy asks. Maggie puts a hand on my shoulder and we walk over to daddy.

"Shot. By your man." The sheriff man answers. He was breathing heavily and was struggling to carry the boy, who I'm guessing was his son.

"Otis?" My aunt Patricia asks but gets no reply from the frantic man. My daddy runs ahead to the man as Beth, Maggie all stay on the porch.

"He said find Hershel. Is that you? Please help me." The man said clutching onto his son.

Daddy turns around looking at all of "Get him inside. Get him inside!"

Before everyone starts running inside, I run behind them trying to figure out what is going on.

"I- is h- he alive?" I murmur not getting a response.

"Maggie painkillers, coagulates.. grab everything." Daddy tells Maggie as he rolls up his sleeves and makes his way into the downstairs bedroom with the man following behind.

Maggie darts past me.

"Y/n, get some clean towels and water." My daddy instructs placing the boy on the downstairs bed. I run off to get them.

When I come back I notice the boy laying on the bed his skin pale white. He was quite cute I thought. He looks young maybe even near the same age as me.

Maggie takes the towels and sheets off me and I hand her the water and the tube that connects.

"Y/n go take.. what's your name son?" Daddy asks the police man as he connects the tube of water to the boy.

"Rick." The officer replies seeming very stressed out and worried.

"Rick we gonna do everything we can, okay. You need to give us some room." Daddy tells him as I tap Ricks shoulder and take him outside.

Beth is in the hallway and she turns to Rick and asks "You want some water?"

Rick shakes his head and walks past us to outside where Otis and another man are running towards the house.

"Beth will the boy be alright?" I ask looking at her almost like I'm desperate for the answer.

This was the scariest thing to happen in months and it didn't help that he was young like me. I don't want anyone to die.