Chapter 43 | Grief

Four days. It had been four days and I still couldn't brace myself to enter that house, the house that screamed Glenn.

I hadn't been a joy to be around and frankly I wanted to see Maggie, I wanted to make sure she was safe.

It was early and I was sat in the kitchen, I had the idea to box up all of the snacks and items that I had hid from the others. I couldn't keep them anymore, I had to give them in hopefully this would help them with more items to give Negan.

However, that meant facing the house.

Picking up my cardboard box which was surprisingly large I made my way outside feeling the morning sun hit my face.

Inhaling, I slowly closed the door making sure to not slam it as I believe everyone was still asleep.

Walking across the road I had my set on mine, Maggie and Glenn's house, well it was his house.

Clutching onto the box, I felt eyes on me and I twisted round before leaving my eyesight on Enid who was looking outside her window.

An attempt at a smile is sent to her and she drops the curtain going out of sight.

I knew she was coming outside.

Her door opened and she was jogging towards me. Enid was fine with being around, she almost made things seem normal.

"Why you got a box?" She questioned me as she approached me stopping beside me, we stopped in the middle of the road.

"Why are you up so early?" I countered her question, she sent me a look before crossing her arms.

Continuing my original mission she followed "I could ask you the same. You should be getting rest."

At this I scoff, and just hold the box.

"I'm collecting all of the valuable stuff and donating them to the inventory." I explain to her as we were in close distance to the house. 

"Want to help?" I ask her. Stopping she gave me a look and I knew she more than likely disagreed with me. I knew Enid, she would say this is ridiculous and that we shouldn't give in.

However, she did just that: she gave in.

"Okay." I disliked her for that.

It enraged me that she just gave up, I know the reason she did it as well - she pitied me.

Nodding we continue to the house making it on the porch, I breathe in and open the door.

||||||||||||||||

"You know Enid." I speak up placing my half full cardboard box on the kitchen counter.

Enid looks up from the cabinet she was searching through.

"He used to tell me that I was an awful chef," A laugh escapes from my lips, my eyes were watering and if it hadn't been a laugh it would've been a cry "I used to say ever since I was little I would refuse to cook, that was a man's job."

Enid was listening in intently as I continued to speak looking over at the oven.

"So he made it his job, he would make us dinner." My voice had cracked and my eyes were watering but I wasn't crying I was smiling.

Enid let out a stifle as well.

"Glenn would do that."

Wiping my eyes I turn my attention towards the small wooden box sitting upon the kitchen counter.

The box he left for me. I never actually opened it.