Chapter 2 | Guns

All the girls were in the kitchen making dinner for everyone.

It was around afternoon and the sun was shining through the windows.

"Y/n come join." Beth said as I walked into the kitchen.

Lori was throwing some potatoes into a pot and Patricia was peeling some potatoes.

"Tell me y/n, you ever cooked potatoes before?" Lori asked turning round to face me.

Shaking my head I looked at her.

"Well I'll be the one to teach you. A girls gotta know how to cook." Lori says as if it's the most important thing in the world.

Patricia and Carol both agree and laugh at this.

"What if I don't want to cook?" I say as Patricia passes me a potato to peel.

"Well how are you gonna cook for your husband?" Lori asks as I attempt to peel a potato but only a little bit comes off. Patricia does it so much better.

"I dunno. I'll just marry a man who cooks for me," I reply then I add "Then I don't have to do any cooking."

A screaming from outside causes all the girls to drop everything and run outside.

"What happened?" Lori asks shouting to Dale who was standing by the caravan.

"Andrea shot Daryl." Dale informs us.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Daddy patched Daryl up as Andrea had only grazed him which is good.

It was dinner time and I was sitting at the small table which Maggie called 'the kids table'. Glenn, Jimmy, Beth, Maggie and me were all on it.

Everyone was silent. No one spoke. It was awkward and sad. I wanted to just stand up and go to my room. So I tried to make it more fun.

Glenn ate a potato I pointed at it "That is definitely the potato I peeled."

Glenn laughed "Good job y/n, it tastes yummy. Hey, anyone know how to play guitar?"

No one replied to Glenn.

"Dale found this one on the highway and it's pretty cool." Glenn continued before he stopped talking.

"Otis did." Patricia said making the mood become sadder.

The whole dinner I noticed Glenn and Maggie giving each other looks. Were they a thing like Jimmy and Beth were?

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

A few days later Carl was back on his feet again.

"This is where we do the gardening. There's peaches. Apples. Grapes. Grapes are the best. Although, Maggie told me we don't have any more grape seeds so no more grapes." I explain our little garden area to Carl who nods listening.

"Is this where Glenn got all those peaches from?" Carl asks. I feel the sun hitting my face, hey at least I'm getting a good tan.

I nod "Must be," we both are silent for a second before I speak up putting my hands behind my back "You know how to shoot a gun?"

"No. My dad does." Carl replies as walk away from the garden and into the long rows of grass.

"My daddy won't let me. I asked. He said 'it's unnatural' but I want to protect myself." I say imitating my dad.