Chapter 32 | Wolves

A pillow hits my face and I stir awake, gripping onto the covers.

"Wake up sleepy head. You have the whole day ahead of you." Maggie says as she opens my curtains. The sun hits my face making me close my eyes as the sudden display of light was a shock to me.

I groan moving around "Stop."

"No. Now you can either come with me and help plant some crops or you can get up and do something?" She tells me. Opening my eyes I see her standing with her hands on her hips staring at me, waiting for a response.

I sit up and rub my eyes "Second option."

"Right well get up." She throws one last pillow at me before walking out.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

"You know Maggie is trying to make me help plant crops here. There's no way I'm doing that again. It's so boring." I say to Carl who is pushing Judith along in her pram . I hear Judith coo in response.

"That was boring." Carl replies referring to when we grew crops at the prison.

Looking around I take in the calmness of it all. This is what I wanted. A place to feel safe, to be able to go on a walk and not worry about walkers. In the distance I see Enid lay her head on Ron's shoulder. Hmm that looked awfully couple like. She told me something different.

I stop and try to look closer. Maybe she isn't on his shoulder and I'm just misreading the situation. Carl stops the pram and looks as well "What are we looking at?"

"Enid. She told me her and Ron were-" I start telling him the gossip before Gabriel interrupts me by saying "y/n. Carl."

I slowly turn around, rolling my eyes. What does he want? Maggie told me that he called our group unsafe and that we shouldn't be here as we are dangerous.

"What?" Carl asks he had turned round as well. It seemed he had the same reaction as I did to Gabriel talking to us.

"You heard what I told Deanna about your group." Gabriel asks. I had heard, it was obvious we both had heard.

"What do you want?" I ask this time. The tone sounded way more mean than I intended it to, he made a shocked face at my harsh tone.

Then looked at us both individually. Me first, then Carl "It was about me.  Not either of you or your group. I know that now. I want to help. You tried to teach me back at my church. But I'm ready to learn now."

I can't tell if he's being honest or not. It feels genuine.

"I think you need to tell everybody." Carl tells Gabriel looking quite mad at him.

"Yeah. I think you're right." He responds back. I did feel bad for Gabriel he was trying hard to make us like him again by agreeing with us.

Carl turns round making me turn round to walk away with him. He goes to push the stroller but he doesn't walk off instead he says "Come by around 3. We'll start with the machete."

Then he moves the stroller and walks off. I follow him, looking back at Gabriel once more, to see him holding one hand on his chest and the other to the sky. Guess he's happy Carl forgave him.

"What were you saying about Enid and Ron?" Carl asks me looking at me.

"Oh, um, that they are only friends." As I say this I look back over to them to see them hug. I raise my eyebrows, they so are not friends.