{5}

"tay, scott, malia, isaac, and lydia are going out to canaan," liam informed hayden.

"wait, you're going?" hayden asked, looking at the fairy.

"i have to, stiles told me to." tay nodded. "i wanna help, but i have to do this, and before you guys say anything-"

"he's real," liam cut her off with a comforting nod. "we believe you. all of you guys. now, scott said to go through with the plan as long as it doesn't destroy his house."

"what plan?" hayden inquired.

they gave her a look.

"wh-what plan?" tay echoed. "you. your plan. hayden romero's plan."

"what?"

"your plan," liam repeated.

"i don't have a plan." she furrowed her eyebrows.

"well, you said you had all these ideas about how to catch a ghost rider," he defended.

"i had one idea. it was really bad. and then i had another really bad idea," she retorted.

"well, it was an idea," tay exclaimed, gaining some looks but rolling her eyes.

liam sighed. "anything that could work?"

"yeah, but it's terrible."

"great. let's do it."

"yay!" tay sarcastically exclaimed. "i'll help until i have to go."

"ok. so, we need to break into the faculty storage room."

"to save the whole town from ghost riders?" he raised his eyebrows. "no problem."

"whoop whoop," tay grumbled.

𖦹𖦹𖦹

"tay," isaac whispered, shaking the girl. "tay, scott, wake up."

tay inhaled deeply, moving around. she was on top of scott with her head on his shoulder and his arms around her, the two laying in the back seat. her and scott's legs were over isaac's lap.

scott sighed, looking around in confusion. "where are we?"

malia turned to them. "according to the GPS, this is it."

"we're in canaan?" tay questioned, tiredly sitting up and moving off of scott. she looked through isaac's window.

scott sat up too. then they were all getting out of the car.

"this place looks dead," tay commented quietly, rubbing her eyes.

isaac put an arm around her shoulder, keeping her standing.

"this is it," lydia said. "this place is dead, tay. canaan's a ghost town."

they started walking down the street.

"i don't hear a single heartbeat," scott shared.

isaac nodded. "me neither."

"i'm not catching any scents," malia added.

"i wonder why stiles would send us here," scott commented.

"maybe he knew everyone was gone?" tay guessed in a mumble.

the street lamp light flickered, electricity crackling as it did.

they stopped walking for a moment. they shared a look before resuming. they stopped again when crows cawed.

lydia looked up at the burnt sign thing above them. "this is the place i saw in the mirror." she stayed there as they walked again, heading toward a house.