4

Jem's POV

I frown as I take in Andrew's trashed house.

When we got here the door was all but tore down. His couch was flipped over, the TV was busted, files littered the floor, and a match was in the trash. The match was partially burnt and a few things around it in the trash were singed.

My best guess was they were looking for anything of value, either money or information, but when they found nothing they decided to just burn the place. Either they had never started a house fire before or they were just in a hurry but the small fire only lasted for a few minutes before the fire ran out of things to feed on.

"Essentials only," I remind him for what feels like the hundredth time as he stuffs his third pair of shoes in his suitcase.

"This is essential."

"You don't need this many pairs of shoes to just go to work and then go to sleep."

"But what if one pair gets ruined and I need another one? Then you'll be sorry when I have to come back to get some more."

"Well luck for us you already have an extra pair packed. If you manage to ruin two pairs of shoes I will gladly go buy you a new pair," I said as I take out the third pair.

Patrick only watches me suffer from his place on the bed, a clear smile on his face. He was enjoying this way too much but my heart was beating out of my chest.

I glanced down at my watch. I'd been out of the house for over 2 hours at this point. A few minutes waiting for them to show up, about 20 getting shot at, talking for another 10, and an hour drive to Andrew's house. I've been out for way too long and we still have to go to Patrick's house.

Still, I keep my face neutral as I push down my small panic as I look over to Patrick.

"Please tell you you're not going to be this difficult." Andrew scoffed at my small put down but Patrick doesn't give him time to say anything about it.

"I'll be in and out," he promised. "I have a bag ready to go at all times just in case."

"Do you get threatened by gangs that often," Andrew asked as he attempted to put the third pair of shoes back in his bag. I grabbed them from his hands and waved for him to go get something else.

"It's not just for emergency exits. I've had last minute family funerals, last minute plans, and things like that. It's just easier if I keep a bag packed at this point."

Andrew only hums as he looks around the room to make sure he didn't forget anything and when he declares that he's good to go, I grab his suitcase and lead them back to my car.

Sadly their cars will need a new set of tires on them so it wasn't too hard to convince them to let me drive.

Patrick sat in the front seat while Andrew sat in the back, his eyes glued to his phone while Patrick stared out the windshield.

His hands were crossed over his chest but a small detail was missing from one of his fingers. His wedding ring was gone.

I couldn't help the small smile that worked its way onto my face but I don't bother commenting on it, no need to add salt to the wound quite yet.

"You don't have to get out," he said when we pulled up to his new apartment. The door was pushed open like Andrew's had been but there didn't seem to be any movement inside. "Like I said, I'll be in and out."

"Fine," I huffed just to save time on arguing. "But if someone is in there yell really loud." He only nodded before disappearing into the small apartment.