8

Jem's POV

Music pounded in my ears as I stared at the gun lying on the low table in front of me.

Ash Dunham stood behind the table with a glare on his face as a few of my men all but groped him in search of any other weapon he could have been hiding. Anything they found would quickly join my gun on the table.

Of course that wasn't the only gun I had. My favorite was still hidden in the waistband of my pants, sadly jamming into the small of my back but it was worth it.

Either Ash was smart enough to know I wasn't about to sit here defenseless or he was too dumb to believe I would gladly set my only weapon out for the world to see.

Hell, the gun in front if us wasn't even loaded. It was nothing more than bait to reel him in and test to see if he was dumb enough to go for it if things got tense.

"Jem," he said after my men moved away from him. His feet stiffly brought him to an armchair in front of mine as he tried to fake confidence.

"Ash."

"Should we just skip the formalities," he subjected, looking behind me to see the wall of guards behind me.

"You tried to kill me," I noted, looking around the club boredly.

Men and women alike danced and grinded against each other to the fast pace of the music as strobe lights bounced around, barely keeping the dim room lit.

Ash stiffened at my accusation.

Of course I didn't really believe he was the one to order the attack. His gang was nothing more than a few high school drug dealers and a handful of weapons dealers. He didn't have the manpower to do something like this but he was smart most of the time, and resourceful.

They weren't exactly terrible either though. They had the potential to be a threat one day and that was mainly because of Ash. He had a good head on his shoulders but it's hard to start a gang from nothing. Still, if I played my cards right, I could force his hand and he would figure this whole thing out for me.

"You know I didn't," he demised a bit too quickly as his muscles tightened.

"Of course you didn't," I said as I forced out a chuckle. "Just like you didn't send a few of your dealers into my areas."

"I already took care of that. I didn't know they were doing that."

"If you can't keep up with those who call you a leader how am I supposed to believe a few of your dumbasses didn't go behind your back again?"

"They wouldn't do something that stupid."

"I'm sure that excuse would make you stand down too if our positions were switched," I said sarcastically with a small eye roll.

"We didn't do it."

"Then find out who did," I seethed out. I felt myself lean forward as my glare darkened. "Or it's your head I'll be after."

His gaze faltered for a second before a new glare took over.

"I'm not going to do your dirty work for you," he scoffed.

"Is that so," I asked, feigning innocence before sighing. "Well, then I guess you're worthless to me." Ash stiffened further at my words, his breath picked up when I looked behind me at my wall of men.

"Kill him."

Men surrounded him within seconds. Two hands had managed to grip his shoulders before he processed the words I had said.

"Wait-" was all he managed to get out before he was being dragged towards the back entrance while his feet dug into the floor in attempts to slow down his death.

"You tried to kill me and when I gave you the opportunity to clear your name you didn't take it. You either did it or you're too stupid to think clearly. Either you die and my threat disappears or you die and I take your name off the list of suspects. It's a win for me any way you look at it."

I could tell by the amount of panic set in his face, only half of my words registered in his mind.

"I'll figure out who did it, just let me go!" He yelled but his voice was barley heard over the loud music.

No one in the cramped club batted an eye at the scene but his words were the only tolerable music I had heard since we got here tonight.

My men immediately stopped their movement at his words; none of them understanding all of this was just a trick play.

"Let him go."

The second hands were away from him he let out a deep breath before he realized I was standing in front of him. My hand wrapped around his throat before pushing him back against a wall.

His eyes widened at the action but I forced my eyes to remain cold, tightening my grip on his neck.

"You don't want to die, do you," I asked sadly, letting my eyes soften while he immediately shook his head. "Then figure this out for me. You can do that for me, can't you?"

He nodded quickly as my hand loosened the grip.

"You have a week. I assume I don't have to tell you what will happen if you fail?"

"No," he breathed out as I took a step back.

"Good. Work hard then. I'll see you next week, don't let me down."

I walk towards the back entrance without looking behind me, a smile etched on my face as I leave Ash behind me in a confused daze.

That was easier than I thought it would be.

Short, I know but it's here and important so that's what matters. 

Last updated Decmember 3, 2021