35

Andrew's POV

A war room was the best way to describe the place we were sitting in. Figures Jem of all people would casually have a war room in the middle of his house.

I had never seen most of the people here minus Devon, Barrett, Patrick, and Jem who was all but oozing with confidence that I'm sure was fake.

We all sat around a long table with Jem at the head while Devon and Barrett sat on his right side, Patrick and I were on his right and after that everyone sat where there was room with no particular pattern.

We'd been here for hours already, going over ever little detail of Jem's idiotic plan.

The second the he explained the plan I had began to protest but with a sharp glare from Jem and an elbow to my ribs from Patrick, I quickly figured out that my opinion wouldn't be heard.

Other than just knowing the plan, I had no idea what Patrick and I were doing here. We weren't even apart of the plan. From what I've gathered from this several hour debate, we weren't doing anything but waiting here at the house until Jem came back. After that we would be able to go back to our homes. I'm not so sure I liked that part.

"Lastly, Maverick will be with Patrick and Andrew during all of this," Jem said with a harsh glare at the man who I assume is Maverick. "You three will be up in the security room. You'll have access to the wire and tracker I'll have. If anything happens to go south, which it won't," he said with a small glare to Devon. "You'll be the first to know. Everything will still go according to plan but use your judgment, if something happens that you think I can't get out of, get Patrick and Andrew to safe house 5. If no one has checked in with you in 12 hours get them out of the country. Someone will bring them back when it's safe."

Maverick nodded along to the plan with a serious expression until Jem checked his phone for the time.

"You all know your assignments. Study them because I won't be repeating myself. Do your job well tonight and we'll all come home safe. I assume I don't need to tell you what will happen if you fail. Rest up. We'll be leaving in a few hours, get what you need."

No one bothered saying another word as they left the room, leaving the five of alone, staring at each other, not knowing what else to do.

"Too late to back out now," Jem announced as he stood up from his chair.

"Not if you're having second thoughts. We can always come up with something else," Devon said hopefully but Jem just shook his head.

"I think I'll manage. Now, I'm going to go make some lunch, all of you are more than welcome to join me but this conversation ends the second you walk out the door."

"I've never had a meal with a dead man walking before," Barrett said bitterly. "This should be interesting." Jem merely rolled his eyes and continued walking.

The rest of the day was tense to say the least. Devon didn't say a word to anyone, Barrett continued to make smart yet stupid remarks that only pissed Jem off more, Jem fiddled and cleaned the gun that usually stayed strapped to his side while Patrick and I tried to avoid thinking about everything that would happen soon.

"At least you two will be able to go home soon," Jem sighed, not looking up from the gun. "You'll be able to go to work without Dev and Barrett bothering you. Sounds nice, wish it were me."

"Like you could survive three minutes without us," Barrett scoffed as he turned back to the window.

"Like that's the most important thing right now," Patrick said as he stared at the TV without actually watching what was playing.

"Don't get all pissy on me. You two can still come and play when ever you want," he teased while shooting me a heated look.

"Assuming you don't die a gruesome death in the next few hours," Barrett happily reminded him, earning a pillow being harshly thrown at his face. He didn't even bother throwing it back at his friend who was clearly suicidal.

"If you're convinced of the outcome maybe you should just stay here tonight. I don't need your negative outlook on life effecting my luck."

"My negative outlook has never affected your luck before."

"There's a first time for everything," Jem mumbled under his breath before letting a sigh push from his mouth.

He was hiding it well but I could see the fear rolling off of him though I doubted his own friends could by the hate covering their faces. He was all but drowning in it at this point but he refused to show it and it made it easy now that his friends were too mad at him to track his mental state.

As time went on though, the fear only grew. He began to twitch and fidget. By the time it was time for Jem to leave, his leg never stopped bouncing until he forced himself onto his feet.

He didn't bother saying a word as he pushed off the couch and began heading to the door. His dogs followed behind him sadly, all of their heads hung low while their tails drug the floor, as if they knew Jem was about to do something stupid too.

Barrett and Devon followed when Jem disappeared behind the door.

"Don't take too long. Jem has a schedule to uphold you know," Patrick attempted to tease light heartedly.

Barrett cracked the smallest smile but didn't say a word.

"He can shove that schedule and his death wish up his ass when all of this is over for all I care," Devon grumbled as Patrick and I pushed off the couch to make our way to the security room.

The somber tension we had created in the room left us the second we crossed the threshold. Dread loomed over everyone as we went our separate ways.

Soon enough Patrick and I sat ourselves in the security room, cameras all around us showing everything Jem could see it only made my nerves worse as we waited for Elijah to make his way into to the little bar he had chose for the exchange, waiting for it to begin. 

I know it's bad and short but it's a filler so deal with it. 

Last updated March 14, 2022