Chapter 26

3rd Person's POV

The dinner between the two clans went smoothly. The Lans ate silently according to the rules, but they couldn't avoid the chatters from other tables. They soon finished and booked a room for them to rest and sleep.

Lan Shanli went upstairs first after eating, completely ignoring Jiang Cheng and Jin Ling as she passed by them as if nothing had happened a while ago.

Jiang Cheng clenched his fist, his chopsticks between his fingers. He cursed under his breath.

He felt remorseful.

He didn't mean to raise his voice like that. He felt like he had to talk to Shanli.

Upstairs, on the third floor, Shanli didn't feel like going to her room yet. She watched the bustling people below her by the terrace. Along the streets were bustling stores and stalls; colorful signs were flown high above, and giant lanterns hung low. It was such a lively scene, Shanli thought.

Shanli took out her flute and started playing a song. The unmistakable sound of the flute rushed into the sky as though it was a bird, lingering as it echoed through the city.

All the people from below heard it. They started wondering where the sound came from. Shanli was a bit far from the edge of the terrace, so the people from below couldn't see her, except for someone standing behind her.

Shanli immediately halted from playing and abruptly turned around when she felt this person's presence.

As she turned around, there stood Jiang Cheng, who was silently watching her.

Shanli unconsciously took a step back as she gulped at her saliva. She called, stuttering, "S-sect l-leader Jiang."

Jiang Cheng's left brow twitched, feeling slightly upset, but he forced himself to remain calm.

He never liked someone he considered as a close friend calling him Sect Leader, especially Lan Shanli, whom he had been friends with her since their teen days.

Well, he never had that many friends to begin with now that he's a grown-up. With his fierce and arrogant attitude, no one liked him. It's either they were scared of him or are just simply not fond of his attitude.

But as a teen, he did have many friends. Back then, when everyone in Jiang Sect was still alive, despite his mean attitude in the past, he was still friends with all of the Jiang disciples. He also managed to befriend Lan Shanli, the only female member in Lan Clan who is allowed to live in the male's quarter, and also to the second young master of the Nie Clan, Nie Huaisang.

But after everything had crumbled before him, his friends, his home, his family. His heart darkened, harboring hatred to anyone who practiced demonic cultivation, getting even more arrogant and fierce as he grew up.

He never smiled anymore.

But his nephew, Jin Ling, was still there. The only lotus left in the vast lake.

His friend, Lan Shanli, whom he vowed to protect for his sister, was also there. The only friend who stayed by his side.

These two had a special place in his heart—the only family and friend he had.

These two is the only reason he could still smile.

But for some unknown reason, Shanli stopped going to Lotus Pier, which is why he approached Shanli. He came to know the reason.

"Shanli." Jiang Cheng called, his voice serious but not harsh. At that moment, their eyes met.

Shanli flinched and averted her eyes. She spoke with her shaky voice, completely nervous with the person in front of her, "I-I was j-just about to leave. Goodbye Sect Leader Jiang."