Chapter 27

3rd Person's POV

Lan Shanli and Jiang Cheng exchanged words and laughter with each other throughout the night. There was no one at the terrace other than the two of them. They could chat freely without anyone disturbing them. Shanli preferred this way.

Shanli was feeling comfortable and at ease. Everything has been tense between them every time they see each other. She missed this feeling around Jiang Cheng considering they haven't talked properly with each other. She wished everything would stay the same. She wanted to maintain her relationship with the Jiang's. She never wanted to leave them like that.

She was always afraid of getting abandoned, she was afraid of getting left out, she was afraid that they would leave her. But she hasn't thought of herself leaving someone. It hurts more than she had thought.

She hoped everything will continue just like this, to freely communicate with them. For a woman like her, who only wanted to be beside the people she cares for, this was the only thing that she wanted.

Throughout their conversation, a strong wind blew through them making Shanli shiver at the coldness of the air. She raised her hands before her mouth, blowing into it.

Jiang Cheng spoke, "Let's get inside. It's getting cold now."

Shanli nodded as they made their way inside. As they got inside, it was a lot warmer. They walked down the stairs to the second floor to where Shanli's room was. Jiang Cheng accompanied her to her room to make sure she was safe on her way.

"You didn't have to accompany me here, but thank you. I'll be going inside now." Shanli said as she was about to open the door. It was only a small slit that was opened but her ears were quite keen. She was sure she had just heard a moan. She slammed the door shut with an innocent-like smile on her lips. She'll pretend she didn't hear that. She turned back to Jiang Cheng who still haven't left.

Jiang Cheng, "What's wrong?"

Lan Shanli, "I think It's not yet time for me to go inside."

Shanli added, "How about... I go and see Jin Ling first?"

Hearing this, Jiang Cheng had a pleasant smile on his face, "Sure, but I think he's asleep now."

Jiang Cheng turned around and guided her to Jin Ling's room. It was only at the other side of the building so it wasn't that far. As they entered, Shanli tried to remain quiet as possible to avoid waking up the child.

They silently walked up to Jin Ling's bed only to see him peacefully sleeping in sideways. Cute small noises of snores coming out of him.

Jiang Cheng walked closer to the young Jin and pulled up the blanket to fully cover the Jin's body as he brushed off a strand of hair getting in the way of Jin Ling's face and put it behind his ear carefully. Jiang Cheng was gentle and careful with his movements.

Jiang Cheng truly cared for the child.

Lan Shanli smiled so warmly seeing the scene. She walked closer to them as she observed Jin Ling's facial features.

His skin was fair and smooth, as delicate as a baby's skin. He has his vermilion mark between his brows which every Jin has. His eyelashes were long too.

Staring at the kid, she could say that Jin Ling resembles his father but honestly, he resembles his mother the most. Every feature of him resembles mostly of his mother. When Jin Ling was still small, Shanli had thought the kid would resemble his father but she was wrong with that. But that didn't matter. He was the son of Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan, whether he resembled his mother or his father, it didn't matter...

"Jin Ling grew up a lot." Shanli suddenly spoke.

Jiang Cheng finally stood up, "He did."

"When you left," Jiang Cheng started, "He looked for you everywhere."

Shanli stood stiffly with her eyes wide a little, "I..."

"There was never a day he didn't ask about you. He always asks me every morning and every night when you'll visit again,"

Jiang Cheng sighed, "He even threw a fit."

Shanli was beyond speechless she could only say, "I'm sorry..."

"It's all right, there's no need for you to say sorry. It was only a kid's fit who couldn't get what he wanted." Jiang Cheng explained. Shanli doesn't still feel all right even after hearing it.

She left a kid without any proper explanation.

She felt something heavy tug at her heart.

Seeing Shanli's upset expression, he put his hand on her shoulder and said, "Stop showing me that expression. I already told you that it's all right. You probably should go to sleep now. It's almost 9 PM."

Shanli who was still upset just nodded her head and headed out of the young Jin's room together with Jiang Cheng. Jiang Cheng brought her back to her room, saying their goodnight's to each other as they finally went inside to their room.

When Shanli went in, Lan Cuifen and Lan Shuang were cuddling with each other on their bed. They noticed Shanli entering so they immediately stopped and stood up to approach Lan Shanli.

Lan Shuang approached, "Shanli, how did your conversation go-- hey, what's wrong?" Shuang worriedly asked. She noticed how red Shanli's eyes were, no doubt that it came from crying. Add her gloomy face at that.

Shanli didn't utter a word and only hugged Lan Shuang, sobbing at her shoulder. Shuang understood it and hugged her back, patting her head. "You did well, Shanli. There's nothing to be upset about."

Cuifen also joined them and said, "A-Shuang is right."

---

After comforting Shanli, they let her take a bath and went to bed at exactly 9 PM. Shanli had trouble sleeping but slept soon eventually until morning came.

In the morning, The two couples woke up first than Shanli. They decided to let her sleep a bit more so they meditated for a bit and waited for Shanli to wake up.

Shanli soon woke up at 6 AM, rising to her bed, rubbing her eyes. Shanli blinked a few times and turned her head at her two friends meditating.

Lan Shuang and Lan Cuifen felt Shanli's presence, they opened their eyes and ended their meditation before turning to Shanli with a smile on their face.

"Good morning Shanli!!" Lan Shuang energetically greeted.

"Good morning Shanli." Lan Cuifen had also said the same with her usual warm smile.

Shuang smiled back, "Good morning."

Shuang sat beside Shanli, clinging her arms at Shanli's, "Ready for a new day?"

Shanli giggled and nodded.

"All right! Let's get ready and eat breakfast!"
Shuang jumped off the bed, throwing her hands up in the air as she hugged her wife Cuifen. They both giggled as Cuifen turned her around and around with her hands on her waist as if they were dancing. Shanli felt a pleasant feeling blooming inside her as she laughed together with her friends. It was a good way to start a day.

The three prepared themselves before going downstairs to eat breakfast. As they walked down the stairs, they could already spot Jiang Cheng sitting alone on his table with his tea.

Shuang nudged Shanli's side making her turn to her with a questioning look, "W-What is it?"

Lan Shuang bobbed her head in Jiang Cheng's direction, "Look at Sect Leader Jiang, he's sitting there alone. You should join him."

As Lan Shuang speaks, Jiang Cheng had already seen them, his eyes staring intently at them. Shuang nudged Shanli's side a bit more, "L-look, he's looking at you. Hurry up!"

Shuang started pushing Shanli down the stairs, going in the direction of Jiang Cheng's table. " S-Shuang! What are you doing?!"

Shanli was already in front of Jiang Cheng's table after finishing her question. She gulped at her saliva, meeting Jiang Cheng's purple orbs.

"Good morning Sect Leader Jiang, what is a Sect Leader like you doing here alone?" Lan Shuang asked with a sweet smile plastered on her lips. Other people would have already melted if they see Shuang's bright smile, but it seems like it didn't work at Jiang Cheng and he responded coldly instead without even looking at her, "Good morning, I'm waiting for my disciples to wake up."

Shuang froze up on her spot. She couldn't believe she's receiving this kind of cold treatment. But this was the kind of person Jiang Cheng was in front of other people, so it was already expected, "I-is that s-so? Hahaha. Well then, our friend here," Shuang put her hands on Shanli's shoulder, "told us that she would like to sit with you."

Shanli panicked, " I didn't--"

"So we're leaving her to you Sect Leader Jiang, I'll be going out for a walk with my wife. Please take care of my friend. Bye!" Shuang rushed off outside dragging Cuifen with her, leaving Shanli with Jiang Cheng. Shanli's face was beat up red out of embarrassment.

"Those two..." Shanli said embarrassingly, her hands covering her face.

Jiang Cheng let out a "pfft". He said, "Why don't you take a sit first, didn't you want to sit with me?"

"I-!!" Shanli wanted to retort, but she shut herself up and just sat on the chair opposite Jiang Cheng.

"Where's Jin Ling? He's still not awake?" Shanli asked.

"Probably, but he should be awake by no--"

"Jiujiu..." A voice that still sounded sleepy interrupted the two. There came a boy in a yellow robe, his hands covering his mouth as he yawn.

Jiang Cheng frowned from seeing his nephew's appearance, "Did you wash your face? Your hair's not even tied properly! And where's your sword?!"

Jiang Cheng's bolting voice was the first thing he heard early in the morning, the young boy was pretty irritated, "In my room--"

"Why are you even leaving your sword in your room?! Didn't I tell you to bring it wherever you go?! Go get it!" Veins started popping out of the forehead.

Jin Ling got scared by Jiang Cheng's scolding that it completely woke him up. He immediately runs upstairs to get his sword.

Lan Shanli, "C-calm down, Jiang Cheng. There's no need to be strict to him."

Jiang Cheng humphed as he took a sip from his tea. Not long after, Jin Ling came back with his sword this time.

He was hugging his sword like a child and was warily looking at Jiang Cheng. He still walked toward the table and sat down at the left adjacent side of Jiang Cheng.

Jin Ling noticed Shanli sitting at the side. Their eyes met. Shanli smiled at him and greeted, "Good morning Jin Ling."

Jin Ling's eyes widened as it glistened with tears.

Jin Ling was supposed to say something to Shanli when Jiang Cheng suddenly spoke, his voice harsh, "Now that you have your father's sword, you shouldn't just leave it somewhere else. We're in an inn, not in Koi Tower or Lotus Pier. Don't come to me crying if you lost it."

"I won't cry again!" Jin Ling retorted, his face red.

Shanli just realized that the sword that was on Jin Ling's hand was his father's sword, Suihua. Shanli asked, "Perhaps... Did he lose it?"

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes, "Yeah, after a few weeks I gave it to him, he forgot where he put it then he came to me crying and full of snots."

"Jiujiu!!--"

"What?! Acting embarrassed? That's why you should keep your swords with you. Lose it again and I'll break your leg."

Jin Ling shrunk to his seat and chose to silence himself instead of talking back to his uncle. Shanli at the side chuckled.

Suddenly, the innkeeper came, "Young Master and Young Lady, please forgive me for the food preparation might take a little longer."

Jiang Cheng sipped at his tea and put it down, "It's fine, we'll wait."

The innkeeper bowed, "Thank you. Please be patient and wait." then the innkeeper left. He also notified the other customers about the late preparations before heading inside the kitchen.

"It seems breakfast might take a little longer," Shanli commented.

"How about let's go out for a walk?" Jin Ling suggested.

Shanli smiled, "I'm fine with it. Jiang Cheng, how about you? are you coming?"

Jiang Cheng thought for a while before replying, "You go first, I'll just finish my tea."

"All right. Then just look for us if you finish." Shanli said. Jiang Cheng hummed in reply.

Lan Shanli, "Let's go Jin Ling."

"Mn!" Jin Ling nodded and excitement and both of them walked out of the inn.

Lan Shanli and Jin Ling chatted on their way out considering that they haven't talked with each other this past few years. Jin Ling told her about what has been happening in Lotus Pier and also between him and his uncle.

"Jiujiu scolds me every time even with the smallest mistake I make. I'm so tired of hearing his voice." Jin Ling said, his lips forming into a pout.

Shanli laughed as she patted Jin Ling's head, "Just bear with him. He just cares for you that's why he's strict towards you. And Jin Ling, other than Lianfang-zun, Your jiujiu is your only family left. So that's why don't get tired of his voice because there will be a day that you won't hear of his voice anymore."

Jin Ling somehow felt his hair standing up, he asked, "W-w-what do you mean by that?"

Shanli chuckled, "It's just like what I said, there will be a day you won't hear his voice anymore. Jin Ling, not all cultivators like your uncle and me can attain immortality. We might die one day. So don't get tired of uncle's voice and listen to him instead. You don't want to lose him right?"

Jin Ling rushed, "Of course I don't want to! I don't want that to happen..."

Shanli chuckled as they kept walking, "Good. Don't ever say that again all right?"

Jin Ling nodded when suddenly, someone screamed asking for help.

"Someone! Help! Help me!"

It was a female's voice

"What's wrong?" Jin Ling asked.

Not from afar, they could see a young woman with slightly disheveled hair, running in their direction. Behind the young woman is an old man trying to chase after her.

The young woman suddenly tripped on something and fell to the ground. Seeing this, Shanli immediately helped the young woman.

"Are you okay?" Shanli asked worriedly as she helped the young woman stand up.

The young woman grasped at Shanli's arm and called at her desperately, "Young Lady, please help me!"

"What's wrong? Why is that guy chasing you?"
Jin Ling asked.

"Lin Zhi! Come back here you woman!" the old man that was trying to chase the young woman caught up to her.

"Young Lady! Please help me! My father is trying to sell me to the brothel! I don't want to get there! Please, young lady! Help me!" the woman named Lin Zhi begged, tears already streaming down.

"How could that old man..." Jin Ling noticed the man was getting closer so he stood up in front of Lin Zhi and Lan Shanli as if trying to protect despite being small.

After seeing Jin Ling standing up in front of the two women, the old man was infuriated, "You damn child! Get out of the way! Give me my daughter."

Jin Ling, "Whom are you calling a damn child? Do you even know who I am?!"

The old man was enraged but didn't act recklessly, "Who cares who you are?! You're just some brat, now get out of the way!" The old man grabbed Jin Ling's shoulder as he was about to shove Jin Ling aside when another hand grabbed at his wrist.

"You!--" the old man looked up to see the guy that grabbed his wrist only to see a pair of purple eyes, glaring at him with his face dark, the man said, "Put your hands away from my nephew."

Jiang Cheng's zidian was starting to spark in purple lightning as if it was ready to turn into a whip if the old man will do something.

The old man felt a shiver down his spine as he let go of Jin Ling's shoulder.

Jin Ling called, "Jiujiu!"

Jiang Cheng finally let go of the old man and asked Jin Ling, "Did he hurt you?"

Jin Ling shook his head, "No? Well, I guess almost but I'm all right."

Jiang Cheng turned to Shanli and asked if she was okay and Shanli just nodded, holding Lin Zhi from her back.

Jiang Cheng finally returned to the old man, still glaring at him. Jiang Cheng was straightforward, he asked, "How much?"

Jiang Cheng had already heard from the stand-by people what has been going on.

The old man was confused, "H-huh?"

Jiang Cheng grew impatient, his voice bolting, "I'm buying your daughter."

The old man took a while to process what he had just heard. Finally, his eyes lit up, "30 silve-- No! 40 silvers!"

"50 silvers." Jiang Cheng threw a huge pouch on the ground causing the string to open, countless silvers rolled out of the pouch. The old man's eyes were brimming with money. He immediately kneeled and took the pouch with so much joy, "Thank you, mister! Thank you! You can have my daughter now. Bye!" The old man runs off with the money.

Jiang Cheng scoffed, "People are so greedy of money to the point they would sell their children. Tsk."

Lin Zhi who had just stood by the help of Lan Shanli, kneeled back down and kowtowed, "This young woman is thankful for young master great kindness. I, Lin Zhi, am willing to follow young master!"

—End of Flashback—