[004] RUN LIKE MAD

I had never had the privilege of viewing life through rose-colored glasses

I had never had the privilege of viewing life through rose-colored glasses. My life had been abrupt from the moment my mother had given me life, never was I handed a silver platter. I was the one who polished them for other folks to have their picturesque lives. Yet something had changed. Ambivalent feelings surrounded me as I pressed my back into my bed, slowly sinking. "I hate him." White lies spilled from my mouth as I tried to comfort myself. I hadn't felt the torment of love in various years. How does one deal with the second effects of such a bittersweet disease? Maybe this time around, I'd found the real deal, at last my intrinsic match.

That night, I didn't sleep. Static reverberated off my vinyl player as my woeful worries sailed into the distance; from here on out, my thoughts would tell me to run like mad, and I would question every heartbeat and thought that crossed me. When the sun rose, my pain docked right back in. "Yes?" the continuous pounding on my door caused a headache that worsened when she swung the door open. "It's 10:30. Do you plan on going to work today?" I sighed deeply; my uniform hung over my desk. My mother and I were complicated; physically, we were copies of each other.

     We had the same spiral locks and round cheeks, but our personalities were light-years away. My mother never had the support she needed coming up; my biggest fear was ending up like her. Cold and sheltered. Ever since I was young, I yearned for the warmth of love or a single ounce of reassurance from her instead; I received a dagger through my heart time and time again when she promised to change. "I do everything in my damned power to keep you alive, and this is how you repay me!" her words cut through my veins, but I nonchalantly slipped on the uniform. "You're a leech just like that sister of yours! All you'll ever do is live off people." My heart stopped; her words had finally filled me. "D-don't," my voice cracked as I became breathless, "Don't turn this on me." I couldn't form a complete sentence.

      "Turning it on you? You've dug your own grave, wayward child." She slammed the door shut as I fell to my knees. Digging my head into my hands, I gasped for air to no avail. The clock was ticking, and I'd already been late all week. It was essential that I at least make an effort to rush today. Quiet as a mouse, I shut the front door and walked to Randy's. I didn't have words whatsoever; everything felt heavy and the sun burnt through me as my head hung low. When I walked through the door, I refrained from looking anywhere near the clock. "On time, look at that." I rolled my eyes as he chuckled heartily. Hoping for better days, I tied the apron around my waist and faked a sheepish grin.

                                       ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

    The sun was fading quickly. As I wiped the sweat off my forehead, the bell chimed, and I hopped off the counter, eager to get the day over. I saw his curls as my expressionless face became joyful; it was indescribable, like a brilliant fire burning within me, and it melted the winter away, bringing the spring right back into my lungs. "You're my biggest fan, aren't you?" I tapped the pen against the notepad as he chuckled slyly, his hands digging into his pockets and a red shade decorated his cheeks. "Got me all figured out, Amorim." Guess he had done some research of his own. My last name was the only remnant of my father in my life, the proof he had proudly carried the name and passed it down to me.

    Stan hadn't pronounced it right, but then again, my pale-skinned teachers had always done worse. Most of my friends had come and gone over the years, but it was nice to have someone around. Especially around this time, school was starting soon, and as long as he hung around, I'd have something to look forward to. "When do you uh- get off?" I turned my head towards Randy, who raised his eyebrows higher than id ever seen. "I expect overtime next week!" I undid my apron as I rushed towards him, "you got it!".

   The sidewalks were humid due to the recent rainfall; silence filled our stroll, but it was comforting not having to explain myself at all. "I think we'd make a pretty good Bobby Briggs and Shelly Johnson, don't you?" much to my surprise, he took me by the shoulder and pressed me close to him. He was warm and tender, reeked of cheap champagne, and was oh-so-obviously drunken as his slithering hands traveled across my shoulder and towards my back. I felt myself melting into his warmth but caught myself before I could break down my four walls. Most of my life had been spent on the very tips of my toes like a black cat sprinting through the night fog. With my heart in my throat and a ringing alarm in my stomach, I chuckled at his comment. I'd stopped watching Twin Peaks the moment her mother began sobbing; I liked soap operas and dramas, but this was another level of extreme.

   "I guess so." Her voice was low and sorrowful; slowly, she crept her hand into mine, and I felt my blood rush through my entire system. There was that holy light that surrounded her rich aura, seeping deep under my skin. She was undoubtedly intoxicating. "What's your favorite spot in the whole town?" I was desperate to make conversation, her interest quickly dissipating. Her face was immediately fixed, each detail coming to life as those narrow, amber-colored eyes cut into my soul—a sharp smirk dancing across her lips as she nodded towards the woods.