[005] THE ROOF

"This cathedral has been here since the Dawn of Derry; it was only abandoned a few decades ago, and nature overtook it

    "This cathedral has been here since the Dawn of Derry; it was only abandoned a few decades ago, and nature overtook it." Amused and wonderstruck, her eyes nearly flung out of her body. It was impressive; nature had overgrown the concrete structure completely, yet time stood still within the vast space. "I take it you come here often?" I stepped closer to her, feeling every movement she made. She chuckled, playfully punching my shoulder. "No! It's completely a serious question; this is worrying." We locked eyes as our laughs reverberated within the broken walls. Like a quick yet tender kiss, they pulled apart once again. "Here, I can block them all out." She sighed, sweeping her hair out of her face.

    "I should get going home." Despondent and visibly upset, her eyelids fluttered as she walked towards the edge of the crumbling statue; she sat on a pew, draping her coat over the corner of it and anxiously crossing and fixing her legs as she folded her hands over the wood and rested her head on them, the moonlight casting a shadow on her golden face. I made my way down the narrow hallway and sat across from her as she pondered; I tried to decrypt her mind pulling it apart, look by look. My body was weak as she pierced me with incandescent eyes; like a black cat, she slowly shifted her body as she took a seat next to me. My mind ran laps as the warmth radiated onto me, the weather worsening by the second, but nothing else mattered as we sat close. Selena placed her sight on me, and not even the thunder above us would pull her away.

    Softly, she caressed my complexion, completely enamored. Not a single word was said, yet all was understood when timid lips were placed on mine. There was no need to rationalize the situation; the fire had been burning for a while now, and we had reached the boiling point. Time inexplicably stopped as we stood breathless and fervid. Unable to contain it, she grinned faintly before muttering the words, "I love you." Inexplicably, the heavens opened up, and the once threatening showers came down upon us.

     The mist subsided as the rain cleared it away. His lips pressed onto mine once again, this time with a divine sense of certainty that this magical night would be the first of many. Burning my apprehension, that trepidatious voice within me wilted with his touch as his hands slithered onto my back, slowly devouring me. Ultimately, I surrendered to him, letting the rain wash my despair away. Quickly, we were transported to another place in time where this night would never end. I knew he could taste the sadness and desire within that kiss, and I knew this night would shift our existence entirely.

      "Thank you for tonight." The rain turned to a simple sprinkle; the tension, on the other hand, had not. "Sure thing." Our hair was soaked, and our clothes stuck to our bodies. He managed to crack a chuckle without pulling his eyes off me. The light posts led us to our final destination as the cars sped by; this night would be the first chapter of my emancipation. My heart was heavy, and I was petrified. Every time we locked eyes, I felt the heat travel through my shaking body to warm me. I gripped onto my heels anxiously as my head hung low.

      He dug his hand into my hair and kissed me one last time as we stood on the porch, "I love you too." My heart was in my throat as I froze up completely, shattering within his grip. He walked off into the cold haze as I stood mesmerized. Pain overflowing within me as I opened the door and stepped back into my misery. Ma' was passed out with another bottle in her hand, much to my relief and despair. Yet, the desire for his body amongst mine overshadowed the fear I carried deep within me. My breath remained short on that warm summer night, and it would not return for the remainder of our estranged relation.