[021] UN HOMME ET UNE FEMME

The wood creaked and snapped under our feet as Richie and Eddie ran across the dock

The wood creaked and snapped under our feet as Richie and Eddie ran across the dock. Birds chittered in the slowly wilting trees as fish swam across the still standing lakes.

"It's gorgeous isn't it?"

I ignored his attempt to make conversation as I neared the edge of the wood, stroking my hand across the water and distorting my reflection.

"Sure thing,"

Kneeling, he sat beside me as his legs hung from the wood. I watched them run along the water and end up in a pile of leaves, giggling like two small children. A small illusion of a flame growing within me and dying the instance that his ice cold eyes cut through me.

"What happened to who we used to be?"

his feet swinging below us. I desperately avoided his gaze as he attempted to talk to me, I knew it was cruel but I needed that space.

My head turned to look at him, a shadow casting over my face as the wind swept my dark hair away. Choking up, I answered, "People change, but this was purely accidental."

I could feel my heart ripping apart in my chest.
The tears pushing my limit as I held them back, I'd convinced myself I wouldn't shed another tear. His arm wrapped around me, much to my surprise, my entire body jumped but he didn't back off.

Sniffles subsided as he wiped away tears.
"I'm sorry," I topped his hand with my own as he shamefully turned his head, "no need to apologize, love."

He dug his face into my shoulder as he sobbed.
I lovingly stroked his hair, watching Richie and Eddie come to a standstill. Fear in their eyes as they watched their friend in a deteriorated state. Eddie's jaw dropping to an inhuman extent and Richie's body shaking as if a winter storm struck within him.

Tenderly, both of his arms wrapped around me, hauling me into his warm body. Embracing every inch of me, almost as if terrified to let me go. I hadn't caught up with whatever was happening in his life, I was too caught up in my own life.

In that moment I knew if I stuck by his side I'd be able to heal, and so would he. Yet there was so much to face; Dallas, Patricia, and societal barriers. We were worn out, we couldn't possibly live this way.

The wind picked up once more, the leaves blowing off the trees and crowding the water. He parted from me, leaving me cold and sorrowful again. Gently, he took my hand in his and led me towards the edge of the second lake.

There we stood, admiring the gloomy afternoon and the misty waters. How beautiful the way the pine trees disappeared into the October fog, Richie's eyes clawing into us from behind as the boys chuckled.

The moment I slipped into Richie's car, I slummed over onto his shoulder and my eyelids fluttered shut. Lord, if you're hearing my prayer, please let this work out in my favor.