[020] THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL.

The sound of locker doors shutting simultaneously still made me jump after every bell rung

The sound of locker doors shutting simultaneously still made me jump after every bell rung. Beverly made small talk as I retreated my hands into the sleeves of my turmeric cardigan, grinning politely. Her view shifted suddenly towards ben, in his emerald varsity jacket that matched her eyes. They'd look so good together, I thought as a longing look engulfed her eyes.

She shook it off, almost as if nothing had ever happened, no bandages had been lifted off her puzzling persona. "Call me, we can go catch a film sometime, get away from it all!" she warmly welcomed me into her arms then disintegrated into the crowds amongst the hall.

Letting a sigh slip through my lips, I thought about the ever-changing seasons. Remembering that Halloween was just around the corner, next Monday. Instantly I began conjuring up costume ideas, maybe i'd be a cat or some last minute costume?, my thoughts consumed me. I ran through all of the movies I'd watched, looking for anything I could easily put together.

My head tilted to find Stan, shuffling between books as he focused on finding the ones for his next class. "Are you busy today?" his eyes led astray by my abrupt question, throwing him off path, "because if not, I was hoping you could take me up to the lakes."

The lakes were two twin bodies of water in lower Derry. They had always been a gorgeous staple of my life, shrouded by rich greenery and reflective waters, the lakes were a peaceful retreat.

When my mother and I had first arrived in Derry, the lakes were our refuge on the grey mornings. A then blonde infant followed her reflection along those banks as her then loving mother laughed heartily at the sight of her little girl.

The autumn leaves fell into place upon the golden water as the wood deteriorated beneath my feet. Fog smothered the orange trees as shades of maroon and chestnut overlapped the crimson leaves. Serenity settling into my bloodstream as the air left my body.

Blue eyes pierced through my gentle skin. Her presence freezing my body as my cheeks went numb and my eyes strayed away. I fiddled with the rings on my fingers, from the corner of my eye I could see her embracing him. Holding him close and planting a kiss along his cheeks.

"Are you doing anything later tonight?" my posture became upright as I turned my back to the pair. Clearing my throat as if a petty goodbye, I took off seconds before the bell rung.

As I slummed in my chair, my hand covered my eyes as I felt the walls closing in on me. A hot, cold feeling inhabited my body as a defenseless reality veiled my existence. There was nothing I could do, say, or speak into existence that would return us to the way we'd been.

***

My stereo boomed, I gently faded into my brown covers, where she had laid earlier today. Binoculars rested on my window, I hadn't bird-watched in months, yet I could hear their chirping from behind the French windowsill.

It brought me the stability I required during such tumultuous times. The world hadn't stopped spinning, mine however, was completely paralyzed. Even now in the company of Richie and Eddie, nothing was the same.

Richie sat in the corner of the room, my guitar in his hands as he covered Landslide. Eddie rambled on about my declining health but all I could hear was that guitar strumming back and forth. My eyes gradually fluttered closed, limiting my view of the chestnut haired boy above me.

Man have these two nerds changed, reminiscing on younger times. A jet black haired boy with frames twice the size of his own eyes and a Hawaiian shirt that'd been stolen from the nearest department store, tall and weedy he was then, a sailor at sea when he opened his plump lips. A smaller boy always beside him, he was like his shadow, with the eyes of a lost puppy and the appearance of a small child. Following them was a blond boy, with the eyes of a thousand emeralds, a quick mind with an unfortunately slow mouth. He too grinned widely, no care in the world.

Just to their right, in a blue dress shirt and khaki shorts he'd acquired from his cold father, I stood. A grim look on my face as I'd grown to have, yet I remember having the best time running around with my pals.

A smile crept onto my face, "Do you guys want to go to the lakes?".