[016] HEIGHTS

My foot bounced up and down as I paced across from Dallas

My foot bounced up and down as I paced across from Dallas. He was almost three years senior my age, a real man, and I was terrified. We had met as I asked him for a ride downtown on one of those nights momma came home drunken, he was on his way to his studio apartment in the city.

I didn't know anyone downtown, I was used to mindlessly wandering around. However, that night he invited me over for a few drinks. We made some conversation here and there, it was evident he was into me and it was the first spec of attention i'd garnered since i'd stopped speaking to Stan.

Dally worked as a mechanic at a local tire shop. His skin was tanned, close to my coffee and creamer color, and his eyes were the most gorgeous hazelnut eyes i'd ever done seen. He was a stunning man, he left me weak at the first sight of him. He was about two heads taller than I was, with silky hair that bounced with his every movement.

But, the thought that he was already a man and I was still a lingering girl made me uncomfortable. Stan was still a boy, no matter how earning your manhood is defined, he was still birdwatching in trees and discussing arcade games with his friends. His maturity was rationed and unavailable most of the time.

He was halfway to maturing. Dallas was a man, quite a man at that. To upkeep his demanding job, he would be in and out of the gym weekly. His body was toned and he was quite buff, unlike any boy in our neighborhood. He was fresh, exciting. Something sexual and sensual unlike id ever experienced before. I knew he took a liking to me because of the way he eyed me.

Dallas was a man of the senses, when he'd first brought me back to his apartment to converse, he often licked his lips when looking me in the eye or lightly brushing my arms and hands whenever we spoke.

I fancied him, I honestly did. When I went home that fateful night, I'd written my number in his phone book and he called to check on me as soon as I arrived home. He then proceeded to take me out on an actual date, which i hesitated to go on at first but then complied to.

I missed love, giving it, receiving it, making it. So when Dally invited me out, I saw it as an opportunity to bring in a new love into my life. Just as Stan had done.

So there we were, face to face playing pool as he sipped a whiskey on the rocks. The dim lighting of the bar made him glow amongst the half empty bottles and drunken folk. "Am I the youngest you've ever been with?" I stroked my cue and the ball fell into a pocket as he laughed, "Sure." His laugh was contagious and I instantly found myself needing to join in. My brain went into overload as he beamed his beautiful smile, I could feel myself becoming more and more acquiescent.

"You got any folks back home in Derry?" he took his shot as I leaned over, making sure the low cut of my cardigan was visible. Resting my elbow on the side of the table, I then hunched my back once more, my cleavage just below his eye line. They flicked over for a second and then instantly connected with my own.

"My momma, my old man was killed on the battlefield early after I was born. Got a few friends back home too.." I shivered as I took another shot and missed. "What about a boyfriend?" I felt his smile grow wider as he balanced focusing on the striped balls and me. His question made my face grow warm and my heart began thrusting faster.

I thought back to Stanley, his auburn curls and hazel eyes. His pale, warm skin on the cold mornings were we awoke entwined. His lovingly awkward personality, the way he made me feel special and loved. Then I remembered the diner, that blonde and her eyes meeting his with his half-muttered words. I recalled the sour phone call and how stupid I felt afterwards.

"Nope," I popped the P, "Haven't for my whole life." I asked the bartender for another round as she refilled my glass with Rum and Coke. With all the confidence in the world, I finished him off and won the game.

"I'll consider visiting upstate if there are more girls like you up there!" a starving glare lit up in his eyes as he analyzed me. I could tell he noticed the twitching of my hand and the stutter in my throat. He too could feel the sweat dripping down my neck and the heat that radiated from my body. "Oh- Oh no, Derry's a one-horse town! There's nothing to do in that old place."

"It's cold out, pretty girls like you should be kept warm this time of year." He walked over, stripped off his biker jacket and laid it on my shoulders, it was far too big but it pushed me past my boundaries. "You're gorgeous Selena, it's a shame no one's warming you up at night. These bitter nights are no joke, mind if I do the honors tonight?" I didn't know Dally and I Certainly didn't know his intentions, but I was crazy to get a taste of the passion i'd missed for so long.

Gently, he magnetically pulled us closer. I entwined myself with him as he wrapped his arms around me, whispering in my ear on and on about how I deserved to be cared after. I threw my head back in ecstasy, "Let me take you home, Baby."